📜 EwA Week Highlights: Puerto Rican Exploration Explorations, Temperate Forest's Tree Identification by Bark, EwA Winter Field Events & More...

Claire O'Neill

Jan 16, 2022, 11:25:02 AM1/16/22
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

📸 So many sightings again this week! Dan and I are back from Puerto Rico where we enjoyed exploring rainforests, and dry coastal habitats. I can see that over here the EwA community had a wonderful time identifying trees by bark, and photographing birds right after fresh snow. Wonderful visuals! Here are a few snaps :-)

Starting with Dan's Puerto Rican Tody (Todus mexicanus) sighted in El Yunque National Forest. Isn't s/he adorable?

EwA iNaturalist record (© Daniel Onea · El Yunque National Forest, Puerto Rico · Jan 10, 2022)

Meanwhile. in another kind–yet as beautiful–forest, Jennifer, Kathy, Tinie, Tom, Joe, and Sara braved the cold to explore and identify trees by bark in the Winchester town forest. I heard they had a wonderful time!

I would have loved to be there with them :-) Notice the book that Kathy holds: it's a great resource! Now my question is: who is the one who took the photo? (Charlie? Kathleen?...).

This week too: Bill, Jennifer, and Joe enjoyed birding right after the snow, adding wonderful sightings to EwA's biodiversity inventory project. See their bird records > here.

📊 Thanks to all for great biodiversity records these past 2 weeks! - totaling 907 observations of 458 distinct species. Curious about the last set of records that have been validated by the iNat community so far? > here.

Running tally: 🏆 To date, we recorded 92,705 observations of 7,356 distinct species! Check our EwA umbrella project and see the details per site/observer & more... > here

📅 EwA Coming Public Events

EwA Field Events » Check the EwA Winter Program [ Events details & registration » ] Don't miss great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and of its wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting pressure on natural habitats that large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit to avoid no-shows (or cancel when you know you can't come)

■ EwA Fieldwork (& Resources)

Winter schedule: We switched to weekly biodiversity scouting sessions, at Horn Pond and the Fells - replacing the weeks where we would usually survey phenology. Pheno surveys are now on a monthly schedule at all sites. Check EwA's Volunteer Program Calendar 📅 to know when things happen. And if one session is of interest to you don't hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides - Field Rosters - Field Notes > All here! | ℹ️ More About EwA Citizen Science Program » here

Any questions❓ Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

Thanks and Have a great week!

Nature Conservation as a Way Of Life

www.earthwiseaware.org | EwA Newsletter Signup »

🧡 Become an EwA #ScienceForAll Ambassador » Donate