Fleas? Good, bad, both?

amelia.joselow

Mar 12, 2024, 1:53:37 PMMar 12
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group
Hi all!

Following the awesome report that Claire sent out, I had a question. In the first graphic (HIPPO), it shows that the flea population is decreasing. I'm curious as to the human health and environmental impact of the decrease.

With my public health background, it seems like a good thing as they can be disease vectors, but I also know they are a food source for other animals so their absence could have negative ecological effects.

Google Scholar seems to be failing me on this front. Does anyone have any knowledge on this or a suggestion of where I could find a data-driven "cost-benefit analysis" of the decrease?

Thanks!
Amelia