📜 EwA Week Highlights: Cute Young Barred, Stoat, Angry Birds & An Unfortunate ChipMunk

Claire O'Neill

May 29, 2022, 7:43:06 PM5/29/22
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

Hello everyone!

Mike is on vacation, so I am taking over this week’s highlights. Many beautiful observations from the community again this week. One of the many favorites would be Dan’s barred owl ‘youngling’ (Strix varia). Adorable isn’t s/he?

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Daniel Onea · Woburn, MA · May 25, 2022)

This past week ended with our monthly 4th Saturday walk at the Fells. 11 of us were out biodiversity scouting, my group– trailing Bill’s group–stayed behind to try to investigate a chaotic episode: A red-bellied woodpecker was not happy, ‘screaming’/alert-calling, a male cardinal following him around, both checking from above the forest floor. Some thought there were a couple of red squirrels in the area as well - maybe the source of the commotion. I did not see any red squirrel, but suddenly a gorgeous small stoat (a short-tailed weasel) appeared briefly, crossed our path, a chipmunk in-mouth, and disappeared on the other side of the trail. Everything was fast, and I could not get a camera shot. But that was a treat for sure! Although of course there was one victim in the story (that we know of): the chipmunk.

I don’t have a pic of the stoat, but I have a pic instead of a happy group. Thanks, Laura for the shot!

2022-05-28 Walk Guests | EwA Forest Explorations event (next one: June 11th

📊  Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling 859 observations of 384 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆  Running tally: To date, we have recorded 105,999 observations of 7,834 distinct species! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅  EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Spring Program [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

Peak schedule: Our monitoring programs are in full swing, and are occurring every week this time of year. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅  EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides · Field Notes » All here! | ℹ️  More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s it for this week—until next time!

Nature Conservation as a Way Of Life

www.earthwiseaware.org | EwA Newsletter Signup »

🧡 Become an EwA #ScienceForAll Ambassador » Donate