Re: City Nature Challenge starts at midnight!

Claire O'Neill

Apr 29, 2021, 6:46:30 PM4/29/21
to Biodiversity Citizen Science Network, Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

There we are! The City Nature Challenge is starting at midnight! It's a great way to exercise your naturalist skills while helping science at the occasion of this international bioblitz. Happy iNating - Enjoy!

And while we are enjoying ourselves documenting out there, let's remember to not trample plants along the way, or startle wildlife. 🧡

Spread the word, share the advice for the love of Nature!

- Claire (Earthwise Aware)

The countdown has begun.... who make that first observation??

City Nature Challenge starts at Midnight!

Join the CNC Boston Area iNaturalist Project!

Joining our project on iNaturalist will help us track participation and keep you up to date on what is going on in the project!
How to Participate
  1. Download the iNaturalist app & make an account.
  2. April 30-May 3, take photos of WILD plants, animals, and fungi to make observations. If you take a photo of something you know is not wild (pets, garden or potted plants, zoo animals, market produce), select the captive/cultivated option in the app.
  3. Be careful using the automatic suggestions for species. Look for suggestions that say "seen nearby" AND "visually similar". If you don't see a suggestion that fits, it's best to type in an ID (even a course ID like "plants" or "animals" or "fungus" is fine!).
  4. Upload your observations to share with the iNaturalist community.
  5. Learn more as your finds get identified, and help others by identifying their observations!
  6. See how your Boston is doing by checking the leaderboard
  7. Use the 'Favorite' feature on iNaturalist during the CNC to share your favorite observations to be discussed during the nightly Highlight Reels!
Download the FREE iNaturalist APP!
PICTURES + SOUNDS of NATURE = OBSERVATIONS!

Observation Dates:
12:00 AM Friday April 30 - 11:59 PM Monday May 3

Identification Dates:
Tuesday May 4 12:00 AM - Sunday May 9 11:59 PM

Upload your observations to iNaturalist to add them to
Boston's species count for the 2021 City Nature Challenge!

Download the mobile app so you can always observe,
even without cell reception or wifi.

Daily Zoom Meet-ups - Highlight Reels and Id-a-thons!

Daily Zoom Meet-ups - April 30 - May 3!

Join each night for our Daily Highlight Reel at 7 pm

We will cover daily totals and highlight a few cool observations!
Register HERE

Join next week for our Daily ID-a-thon at 7 pm
We'll work together to identify on the iNaturalist platform - no experience neccessary.
Register HERE
Where to Observe

The Boston Area for the City Nature Challenge extends into Massachusetts Bay, all the way out to Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary, and now includes Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket.
#Spreadtheword!

If you tweet or post a picture on social media,
make sure to tag it with:

#CNCBoston
#CityNatureChallenge
#CitizenScience
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Questions?
Click on the envelope below to send us an email!
Email Us
City Nature Challenge Organizers
The City Nature Challenge is being organized on a global scale by:
California Academy of Sciences and the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County.

The Boston Area CNC is organized by:
Brandeis University Environmental Studies Program,
Earthwise Aware, Massachusetts Bays National Estuary Partnership, Earthwatch Institute, Suffolk University: Boston, UMass-Boston, Zoo New England

This email was sent to claire...@earthwiseaware.org
City Nature Challenge Boston Area · 1 Franklin Park Rd · Zoo New England · Boston, MA 02121-3252 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp