Tracking Signs of Spring (Field Session 19/03/20)

1 view

EwA

Mar 21, 2019, 12:17:45 PM3/21/19
to Earthwise Aware Nature Circles
Thanks, Laurie, Dennis, Jen, David, Julie, Nathalie, Kathleen and Mike for being with us today. It was great having you all with us the morning! And thanks to Dan for taking pics!

We were a little slower than planned as Spring has not fully started yet in our study sites. This was a nice pace to relax and reacquaint ourselves with our woods, so no complaints there. We truly enjoyed this time with you going through our 3 Long Pond study sites (1 bird monitoring path, and our 2 phenology sites).

Besides, the chipmunk, the skunk cabbage and all flora beauties that we marveled about (including the last minute snowdrops that Mike and Kathleen spotted in the parking lot), we also recorded about 12 bird species. I am still trying to find out what that whitish hawk that we saw briefly flying over us was. It does not fit a Cooper, neither a Sharpie nor a Red-shouldered. I am still inclined to think that it was a young Red-tail on the smaller size, with a stream-lined tail in that particular flight pattern... I'll keep looking in my hawk books. If you have any other insights, please share with me. Otherwise, there were also a couple of slightly complex low trills, from foraging birds low on the ground when we arrived at the pond. I thought it might be juncos, and I think they were.

Species

Count

Mourning Dove

1

Red-tailed Hawk

1

Downy Woodpecker

4

Hairy Woodpecker

1

Downy/Hairy Woodpecker

4

Blue Jay

2

Black-capped Chickadee

13

Tufted Titmouse

8

Red-breasted Nuthatch

2

White-breasted Nuthatch

8

American Robin

10

Dark-eyed Junco

2

When we have today's opportunistic observation records uploaded on our iNaturalist projects we'll share that on our EwA FB page!

Next time, it's likely that things will be moving along, and we will start recording more systematically as soon as the species phenophases that we're monitoring are activated. This means learning and understanding what those phenophase are (they can differ depending on the family, genus and sometimes species). It'll be fun! We'll also try to get to our other study sites at Bellevue if time.

📈 About our studies in the Fells and our naturalist co-creative citizen science programs: Here they are described > https://tinyurl.com/ewa-citizen-science. We invite you to be part of it.
📆 About our EwA events and field work schedule > Eventbrite

Hope to see you soon!

EwA

Mar 21, 2019, 12:20:23 PM3/21/19
to Earthwise Aware Nature Circles
And here are a few of the visual opportunistic observations that we've recorded on the 'EwA at the Fells' iNaturalist project from yesterday's field trip > http://tinyurl.com/ewa-citizen-science-190321. Enjoy!
And if you have an iNaturalist profile, and wish to participate in our nature surveys, join the project > https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/ewa-biodiversity-projects, and we'll add you to the list of our observers!
Eastern Skunk Cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus) observation » https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21452331 (cc Daniel Onea)

#ecology #biodiversity #conservation #citizenscience