📜 EwA Week Highlights: A Week of Little Tree Finds

Mike McGlathery

Mar 10, 2024, 8:00:14 AMMar 10
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
EwA Highlights
March 10th, 2024‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
ewa logo.png
EwA Highlights
March 10th, 2024

Hello everyone!

Thanks for reading the March 10th edition of the EwA highlights. It’s always a great time of year for noticing things on trees.

📸 Kat spotted these Porodisculus pendulus mushrooms in Winchester on Wednesday. Porodisculus pendulus is among the smallest known polypores and can be quite easy to miss. This mushroom holds a special place in my heart, as we spotted some during one of my first EwA programs. To me, this species is yet another reason to slow down and look a little closer.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Kathleen R Shea · Winchester, MA · Mar. 6, 2024)

Another tiny find on the outside of a tree: these greater anglewing (Microcentrum rhombifolium) eggs that Sara spotted on a river birch (Betula nigra) at Fresh Pond. The adult of this species, a type of katydid, is quite large (up to 65 mm/2.5 in) and makes a rhythmic clicking sound that you might recognize.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© gsarajg · Cambridge, MA · Mar. 4, 2024)

EwA’s most-observed species this week was the American amber jelly fungus (Exidia crenata), a mainstay that is present year-round but becomes the most apparent during wetter winter periods. Bill took this satisfying-ly framed picture on Wednesday.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Bill MacIndewar · Medford, MA · Mar.6, 2024)

📊 Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling 304 observations of 168 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆 Running tally: To date, we have recorded 175,244 observations of 10,641 distinct species! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅 EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Spring [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

It’s a great time to join our monitoring programs. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides · Field Rosters · Field Notes » All here! | ℹ️ More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s all for this week—hope you have a good one!

-Mike

ppj8z241o4e2