📜 EwA Week Highlights: Additional Inklings of Spring

Mike McGlathery

Feb 24, 2024, 8:00:55 AMFeb 24
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
EwA Highlights
February 24, 2024‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
ewa logo.png
EwA Highlights
February 24, 2024

Hello everyone!

Thanks for reading the February 24th edition of the EwA highlights.

📸 Early signs of spring’s approach are beginning to amass, and it was visible in our community’s observations this week. Heather observed this red-winged blackbird at Horn Pond. These are some of the first migratory birds to return to New England every year, with the males (one pictured here) arriving before the females.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© aussies2 · Woburn, MA · Feb. 18, 2024)

Claire observed this fungus, Lophodermium pinastri, on Monday, and it’s so small you might not even realize it’s a living thing at first glance. To the passerby, this might just look like a cluster of pine needles that happens to be blotchy-colored, but those black ovals are in fact a fungus that often shows up on dead pine needles.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Claire O’Neill · Medford, MA · Feb. 19, 2024)

EwA’s most-observed species this week was the winter firefly (Ellychnia corrusca), itself sometimes a harbinger of spring despite the name. This beetle overwinters nestled into the bark of trees such as oaks and can become active on warm winter days. In the spring, the overwintered adults emerge to mate. Joe took this observation of a solitary one in the Middlesex Fells on Monday, which probably still has a little while to wait before finding a mate.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Joe MacIndewar · Stoneham, MA · Feb. 19, 2024)

📊 Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling 161 observations of 105 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆 Running tally: To date, we have recorded 173,584 observations of 10,578 distinct species! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅 EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Winter [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

It’s a great time to join our monitoring programs. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides · Field Rosters · Field Notes » All here! | ℹ️ More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s all for this week—hope you have a good one!

-Mike

2q9cyhpkvbqp