📜 EwA Week Highlights: Warblers Incoming, Hairy Fairy Cups, and a Bee Tongue

Mike McGlathery

Apr 17, 2022, 7:50:54 PM4/17/22
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone!

The volume of EwA’s iNat observations has continued to increase with the progression of spring. Each week brings new ecological spring milestones—and one of those can be seen in our first observation!

📸 This week, Bill recorded a palm warbler (Setophaga palmarum) near the southeast corner of the Middlesex Fells. This marks our first photographic record of the coming spring warbler migration! Every spring, a wide variety of colorful warblers migrate to and through New England, and Palm Warblers are always some of the first to show up. Some warbler species migrate over 10,000 miles from locations in Central and South America and the Caribbean.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Bill Macindewar · Medford, MA · Apr. 14, 2022)

No matter what plant and animal phenological activity the current time of year brings, we’re always still on the lookout for fungi as well. This week, Deanna spotted these stalked hairy fairy cups (Lachnum virgineum) in Rhode Island. I love the name, and the look!

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Deana Thomas· Greenville, RI · Apr. 15, 2022)

The flurry of spring activity always provides a good opportunity to observe the many residents of our ecosystems bustling about their days. This week, Claire was lucky enough to be the landing spot of a black-and-yellow nomad bee (Nomada luteoloides) as it took a little break, and she caught this amazing photo of the bee with its tongue out.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Claire O’Neill ·Massachusetts · April 2022)

I’ll leave you with a photo of our wonderful Long Pond pheno team out in the field. This week, they were thrilled to welcome back one of our past summer interns, Kate!

📊 Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling  544 observations of 285 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆 Running tally: To date, we have recorded 98,538 observations of 7,694 distinct species! We are on track to hit 100,000 observations in the next few weeks! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅 EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Spring Program [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

Spring schedule: We are picking up the monitoring pace, and moving from a monthly to every other week monitoring at all sites. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides · Field Rosters · Field Notes » All here! | ℹ️ More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s it for this week—until next time!

-Mike

--
Michael McGlathery
Earthwise Aware Content Editor