📜 EwA Week Recap: hidden Wren, Bee Mimic, City Nature Challenge (Webinar + Field Events) & More...

Claire O'Neill

Apr 25, 2021, 6:02:11 PM4/25/21
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

Here's the recap of another busy week at EwA and a few highlights of what's coming...

First, we have an exciting week ahead of us with the 2021 City Nature Challenge! Any observation recorded on iNaturalist (iNat) between April 30th and May 3rd will count in the International challenge. Additionally, if you want to see your records getting into the EwA data set (that we study yearly), you can join the EwA CNC 2021 iNat project (> here), so that we pull your data automatically. Also... Don't miss EwA's CNC How-to webinar this Tuesday! (see below)

📸  Meanwhile, there were so many sightings again this week. If we have to pick one, that'd be the observation of a 'hidden' Carolina wren by Jennifer.  Then there is the bee fly spotted by Dan - we always love to see those mimics.

📊 Thanks to all for great biodiversity records this week!  - 591 observations total over 292 species. Curious about this week's records that have been validated by the iNat community so far? > here.

Running tally: To date, we recorded 61,777 observations of 6,029 distinct species! Check our EwA umbrella project and see the details per site/observer & more... > here

📅 EwA Coming Events

Virtual Events »

  • City Nature Challenge 2021 - How-to & What to Expect to See (April, 27th - 8pm | webinar registration) » If you want to learn how-to or sharpen your nature observation skills while helping science that's the webinar to attend!

Field Events » Space is limited for all our field events for health reasons and-as importantly–to avoid putting pressure on natural habitats. We are asking our audience to follow a Register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can't come). [ Events details & registration ]

  • Fells Nature Documentation Walk–City Nature Challenge 2021 Ed. (April, 27th - 9:30am | registration) » Document with us the species of the Fells and get your observations counted in the International City Nature Challenge bioblitz.

EwA Fieldwork (& Resources)

We are monitoring weekly at all sites now (including scouting Horn Pond to set phenology and entomology survey sites). Our biodiversity and habitat documentation fieldwork is also as healthy as ever thanks to our group of core citizen scientists who simply rock!

🗺️  EwA Sites Map | Site Protocols and Guides - Field Rosters - Field Notes > All here! | ℹ️  More About EwA Citizen Science Program » here

To all of you: Stay healthy!

Any questions❓ Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.
Thanks and have a great week! - Claire

🧡 Make an impact - Help our #ScienceForAll program.

Become an EwA Ambassador today! » https://www.earthwiseaware.org/donate/

Photo: Carolina wren (thryothorus ludovicianus) | iNaturalist record © Jennifer Clifford