Recap: This Week Biodiversity & Vernal Pool Monitoring Activities

Claire O'Neill

Nov 29, 2019, 4:30:47 PM11/29/19
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

2 events happened this past week: Our last vernal pool field study of the year, and some scouting of an area of the Fells we don't often explore. Here are a few highlights.

Our favorite observations this time > a tiny critter: a tiny tiny Collembola (Springtail) in the Fells ツ

Thanks to all who came and helped us gather important data about our urban wildlife!

[In Brief...]

1) Vernal Pool Scouting (11/25/19)
Here's a quick recap of our field session > We hiked to PVP #13879 to ground-truth it and establish a characterization baseline (i.e. phys. documentation at this time of the year + Pool characteristics recording).

📆 The next session will be next year! Stay tuned, and follow us on Eventbrite to not miss any of our public vernal pool scouting > http://earthwiseaware.eventbrite.com/

2) Fells Winter Biodiversity Scouting (11/27/19)
Now that our phenology sites are officially dormant! 💤  we're in scouting mode for documenting biodiversity in parts of the Fells other than at our fixed sites.
Check our session log > 11/27/19 session log

This means that we are switching to exploration and scouting mode until Spring. This is what we did with our group this Wednesday, and that was a lot of fun! Thanks to all who joined us!

I am taking a few weeks' break to finish our EwA annual (science) report. We will schedule our next public monitoring events very soon: stay tuned!

ℹ️ More About EwA Citizen Science Program » here

Any question❓ Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

Thanks and Have a Great Weekend!, - Claire

 It's #GivingSeason! Make an impact: Help our #ScienceForAll! campaign.
Become an EwA Ambassador today! » https://www.earthwiseaware.org/donate/