📜 EwA Week Highlights: Sumac, Canada Lynx, and Toadskin Lichen

Mike McGlathery

Jun 25, 2022, 8:00:59 AM6/25/22
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone!

After a pretty mild June so far, we’ll be getting some hot and summery feeling weather this weekend. Whether you’re lounging somewhere in the shade or taking in some air conditioning, take a moment to enjoy the EwA week highlights.

📸 Summer is a great time to get to know any of a wide variety of flowers a little better. On Wednesday, Claire did just that, capturing some beautiful close-up views of a staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina) flower spike. While I'm not sure exactly what phenological phase we're seeing here, it's very cool to see the distinctive, tiny fuzzy fruits of the sumac up close!

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Claire O’Neill · Woburn, MA · June 22, 2022)

Continuing our streak of interesting sightings from Jennifer in Canada, here’s EwA’s first observation of a Canada lynx (Lynx canadensis), from remote British Columbia just over the border from Alaska. Canada lynx are closely related to our local lynx species, the bobcat (Lynx rufus), and the two are similar in size, with both growing as large as 40 lbs.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Jennifer Clifford · BC, Canada · Jun. 23, 2022)

Last, we’ve got a nice photo of this common toadskin lichen (Lasallia papulosa) from Joe. This shot really shows off the distinctive texture that gives the lichen its name.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Joe Macindewar · Malden, MA · Jun. 19, 2022)

📊 Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling  1,020 observations of 532 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆 Running tally: To date, we have recorded 111,908 observations of 8,122 distinct species! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅 EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Spring Program [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

Peak schedule: Our monitoring programs are in full swing, and are occurring every week this time of year. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides · Field Rosters · Field Notes » All here! | ℹ️ More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s it for this week—until next time!

-Mike

--
Michael McGlathery
Earthwise Aware Content Editor