Discovering & Protecting the Vernal Pools of The Fells (Field Session 19/03/24)

1 view

EwA

Mar 21, 2019, 12:26:02 PM3/21/19
to EwA-Natu...@googlegroups.com

We're very excited to start documenting the candidate vernal pools of the Fells!

Important note: if you can't make it anymore this Sunday, it's fine but please tell us, so that people on the waiting list have a chance to 'get in'. We remind you that our sessions are limited in the size of the audience so as to not overwhelm the habitat we survey.

Also important: Expectations. We're still waiting for the DCR permit to be able to light sample the pool (with the immediate release of what we find). We requested the permit back in January (well on time), but things take time. The good news is that it is under review. In any case, the documentation of a pool usually takes several visits and is also about documenting the geographic location and its physical attributes. We're also going to survey and record the fauna and flora around the pool. So, no worry, we'll be very busy talking about vernal pools and doing all that together, even if we can't enter that pool quite yet on the first visit!

EwA Vernal Pool documentation » our protocol

ⓘ Learn about Earthwise Aware » https://www.earthwiseaware.org/

✉ If you have any question, you can email me directly at claire...@earthwiseaware.org.

Best, - Claire

#ecology #vernalPools #biodiversity #conservation #citizenScience #openScience

EwA

Apr 2, 2019, 10:39:56 AM4/2/19
to EwA-Natu...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

It was great having you all with us this past event. That was such a good first field trip!

Here is our field protocol if you wanted to explore and certify a pool yourself. It's also a good read before our next visit to the pools (> EwA VP protocol).

We also have a Nature Lesson 'Vernal Pool Exploration' that you can browse at your leisure. In that lesson, the participants can develop a deeper understanding of vernal pools and learn about how we can help protect them. It also explores their faunal inhabitants, along with their characteristic features and roles in the ecosystem.

The first species observations gathered are:

LWV14 N42 25.789 W71 07.265

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21574534

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21572131

LWV13 N42 25.793 W71 07.126

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21574246

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21574245

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21574244

LWV12 N42 25.828 W71 07.183

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21574240

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21574274

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21574243

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21574239

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21574236

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21574200

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/21574187

Physical characteristics have been recorded in our Citizen Science shared drive (members only).

We hope to see you soon at the next Vernal pool event or at any of our citizen science field events.

Thanks again!

Cheers, - Claire