08/19/18 Bear Hill Biobliss

EwA

Aug 17, 2018, 11:19:11 AM8/17/18
to Earthwise Aware Nature Circles
Dear EwA Naturalists,

It's been quiet these past couple of weeks, and it will be this weekend as well! Dan is in Romania, Shilpa in Washington, Jen on vacation... But Joe will be back, and I am here!

Our next biobliss is at Bear Hill. And I just posted about it on FB, changing a little the way I present things so as to encourage people to join.
We want more people to get to understand ecology, and help... Here is my latest version :-)

"You love Nature and want to learn new things? You want to help science and the environment? You want to help protect our local Nature habitats?... Well then, this is for you!

We are looking for nature enthusiasts to help us build a continuous natural history of some key species and habitats of the Fells. This Sunday, we will do a teaser session, tell you about the biological diversity of this woodland, its importance. The importance of gathering information and recording it to help science, the Fells, and our local communities. Come and help us!

Last time, we had a lot of fun together. We even spotted and recorded an imperiled species (Hentz's Tiger Beetle > https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/14389092)!

#biodiversity #citizenScience #ecology #phenology | Earthwise Aware w/ the Friends of the Fells"

Feel free to invite friends and family to the event. Feel free to reuse the text and send that to your network. Feel free also to give me idea about how to message better!

For this Saturday, my plan is the following. It will be just a few of us so far, and I will take the opportunity to check a trail in this area. If we have newcomers I'll spend a little bit of time talking about citizen science, the different sites we are monitoring and why... Unless we find really a cool species that we want to monitor, we won't establish a phenology site over there. Until our base of naturalists grow more, we will go the Bear Hill to do casual species richness type of survey.

Hope to see you on Sunday!

Cheers, - Claire