📜 EwA Week Highlights: Coyote, Vernal pools & Endangered Species, EwA Walks & More...

Claire O'Neill

Nov 7, 2021, 1:08:15 PM11/7/21
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

📸  So many great sightings again this week, including the sighting of a handsome coyote in the Fells!

Pic: Coyote (Canis latrans) | iNaturalist record © Joe MacIndewar

📊 Thanks to all for great biodiversity records this week! - totaling 370 observations of 220 distinct species. Curious about this week's records that have been validated by the iNat community so far? > here.

Running tally: 🏆  To date, we recorded 87,308 observations of 6,920 distinct species! Check our EwA umbrella project and see the details per site/observer & more... > here

📅 EwA Coming Public Events

EwA Field Events » Check our public field events on the EwA Calendar, we have several walks Nov 12th and 13th [ See EwA events calendar to register » ] Don't miss great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and of its wildlife!Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting pressure on natural habitats that large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit to avoid no-shows (or cancel when you know you can't come)

■ EwA Fieldwork (& Resources)

We are monitoring phenology and entomofauna weekly at all sites. Our biodiversity and habitat documentation fieldwork is also as healthy as ever thanks to our group of core citizen scientists who simply rock!

As the field season is winding down, we've started working on EwA's 2021 conservation reports. And as usual, we start with the Vernal Pool report! We made good progress these past few days:

  • We completed the submission of the evidence for 9 new vernal pools in the Fells ( Getting into bodies of water in the Fells is not allowed unless permitted by the DCR / EwA pool documentation is done under a DCR research permit).

  • We are also working on a collaboration with the Zoo New England's Field Conservation team – both organizations will aggregate their field protocols and data for better protection of the pools of the Fells. Exciting!

Within a few weeks, the report should be ready, so stay tuned!

🗺️ EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides - Field Rosters - Field Notes > All here! | ℹ️ More About EwA Citizen Science Program » here

Any questions❓ Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

Thanks and Have a great week!

Nature Conservation as a Way Of Life

www.earthwiseaware.org | EwA Newsletter Signup »

🧡 Become an EwA #ScienceForAll Ambassador » Donate