📜 EwA Week Highlights: Peregrine Falcon, Amber Jelly, & Moss Constrasts

Mike McGlathery

Jan 28, 2023, 8:01:21 AM1/28/23
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
EwA Highlights
January 28‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
EwA_Logo-CS.png
EwA Highlights
January 28

Hello everyone!

Thanks for reading the January 28th EwA highlights.

📾 Before this month, EwA’s biodiversity projects on iNaturalist contained only three observations of peregrine falcons (Falco peregrinus). We've already had two observations of the bird in 2023, both in Somerville! This latest one comes from Jennifer, who saw this falcon on Friday.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Jennifer Clifford · Somerville, MA · Jan. 27, 2023)

Deana took this cool observation of some Ontario rhodobryum moss (Rhodobryum ontariense) last Saturday. I love how this photo contrasts the relatively large leaves (for a moss) of the rhodobryum with the miniscule leaves of the other moss it’s interspersed with. Click through to the observation and zoom in to spot the tiny leaves surrounding each small stem of that other moss.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Deana Thomas · West Greenwich, RI · Jan. 21, 2023)

This week, the most-observed species throughout EwA’s biodiversity projects was the American amber jelly fungus (Exidia crenata). This fungus can be found throughout the year, but it is most common and conspicuous in the winter. The observation below was taken by EwA’s spring intern, Meghan Cahill, an environmental studies student at Lesley University. Welcome, Meghan!

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Meghan Cahill · Medford, MA · Jan. 27, 2023)

📊 Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling 113 observations of 88 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆 Running tally: To date, we have recorded 134,468 observations of 9,069 distinct species! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅 EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Winter [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

Peak schedule: Winter is still a great time to join our monitoring programs. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | đŸŒ± Site Protocols and Guides · Field Rosters · Field Notes » All here! | â„č More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s all for this week—hope you have a nice weekend!

-Mike

dbqhlh50l8yx