💩 Bio-Pollution: The Fells Dog Poop Mapping Project Monthly Update (& Close to year of data!)

Claire O'Neill

Dec 2, 2020, 10:15:29 AM12/2/20
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

The November poop records are in! 120 photo records were submitted this month by 9 citizen scientists over the course of 23 distinct survey dates. The sampling count is higher than last month. All records were verified. The majority of those records were gathered following a semi-structured protocol. A small percentage were opportunistic records. The true count for those submitted records is actually 171 records as about a few of those submissions showed multi-poop records in a single photo. 102 records made it to the map. The ones that could not add to the fall layer were missing geotagging or exhibited erroneous geotagging (due to tower signal error or device failure).

You can visualize the beginning of the fall season data in the EwA Dog Poop interactive map (the icon on the left denotes this fall's records) > click on any of those in the map and you'll see the associated data and a picture of the real thing when the file could be uploaded. All records are stored and retrievable upon request. Each icon represents a season. EwA also had the field protocol reviewed (currently being polished) for those interested in joining the effort.

🙏  Thanks to all of you who provided biopollution data (sharing your photos) this past month!
We're close to the end of the season, and the EwA stat team is about to analyze a year worth of data. Stay tuned!

We're now starting the December poop data layer. You can help! 🗺️  Share the map - If you don't already share your sightings with us - Have your route recorded! ⚠️  We need pics with exact timestamps and location/GPS metadata. The best way for us to collect your data is that you upload your pics to a shared google album that we'll communicate upon request. Contact us at FellsDP...@earthwiseaware.org and ask us to join that album, or for any question that you may have.

Cheers! - Claire

claire...@earthwiseaware.org

+1 781-883-5970 | LinkedIn Profile

Nature Conservation as a Way Of Life

www.earthwiseaware.org | EwA Newsletter Signup »

🧡 Become an EwA #ScienceForAll Ambassador » Donate