📜 EwA Weekly Highlights: European and American robins, Kate & Olivia at EwA's Nature Hour this Tuesday, and More...

Claire O'Neill

Aug 1, 2021, 12:02:37 PM8/1/21
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

Here's the recap of another busy week at EwA and a few highlights of what's coming...

📸  Many wonderful new records made it into the EwA Biodiversity projects this week again. One favorite: a European robin spotted by Dan in Ireland this week. How I miss those little chat-robins! Much smaller than the ones that we know as American robins over here in America aren't. Early settlers named our bold big familiar thrush, 'robin', because its breast color resembled that of the little ones they just left in Europe, the European robin (Erithacus rubecula).

📊  Thanks to all for incredible biodiversity records this week! 903 observations total over 454 species! Curious about the records that have been validated by the iNat community so far? > here.

Running tally: To date, we recorded 77,007 observations of 6,578 distinct species! Check our EwA umbrella project and see the details per site/observer & more... > here

📅  EwA Coming Events

This week's Virtual Nature Hour with Olivia and Kate: Don't miss learning about the experience of our 2 wonderful summer university interns: Olivia (Boston University) and Kate (Brandeis) at EwA's next Virtual Nature Hour this coming Tuesday, August 3rd at noon (register > here). They will tell us what they learn, what they like (and not!) about the EwA biodiversity & climate internship program, and more! It's a great opportunity for our community to support our young leaders and learn from them. Join us! Bring your lunch, hope on our zoom, and let's discuss the many ways to get closer to urban nature in our communities. Check Olivia's (> here) and Kate's (> here) conservation news digests.

Check all our public field events on the EwA Calendar: Events details & registration » Don't miss great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season on our local habitats and wildlife!Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting pressure on natural habitats that large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit to avoid no-shows (or cancel when you know you can't come).

■ EwA Fieldwork (& Resources)

We are monitoring phenology and entomofauna weekly at all sites. Our biodiversity and habitat documentation fieldwork is also as healthy as ever thanks to our group of core citizen scientists who simply rock!

🗺️  EwA Sites Map | 🌱  Site Protocols and Guides - Field Rosters - Field Notes > All here! | ℹ️  More About EwA Citizen Science Program » here

Any questions Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

Thanks and have a great week! - Claire

🧡  Make an impact - Help our #ScienceForAll program.

Become an EwA Ambassador today! » https://www.earthwiseaware.org/donate/

Cheers! - Claire

Nature Conservation as a Way Of Life

www.earthwiseaware.org | EwA Newsletter Signup »

🧡 Become an EwA #ScienceForAll Ambassador » Donate