šŸ“œ EwA Week Recap: Phenology, Vernal Pools, Virtual Meetups & more...

Claire O'Neill

Apr 12, 2020, 9:32:05ā€ÆAM4/12/20
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
I hope you're all doing well and staying healthy!

Another week more of the same and we show how resilient we are in the face of the virus: we keep monitoring!Ā

āš ļø Site news: The DCR has closed most of the gated parking areas. We are lucky our sites are still accessible from the legal roadside pullovers on South Border, but this means that they'll be flooded most of the time. If you monitor the sites, plan on going very early in the morning!Ā

ā– Ā EwA Fieldwork & Online Resources.Ā

šŸŒ± Phenology

This week again Kathy took care of EwA's Long Pond sites; Jennifer monitored the Bellevue sites and our Somerville site. Thanks so much!

We keep adding to ourĀ interactive phenology map, adding documentation, snippets describing our monitoring sites. The map seems to be doing its job: helping out citizen scientists in the field. We're happy :-)

šŸø Vernal Pool Documentation

Thanks to Kathy and Jen's work, it frees some of my time to catch up with vernal pool documentation work. Joe and I were out there this past Monday and Saturday, and we hit the egg mass jackpot for one of our study pools! This means, that we'll apply for a certification of that pool. The cherry on the cake is that this pool is located in an area of the Fells that is heavily used. Having it certified might lead in the future in more resources to protect it better.

Here's an underwater shot of 3 egg masses. Gorgeous, no?!Ā ćƒ„

[More]Ā Long Pond fieldwork journalĀ |Ā Bellevue fieldwork journalĀ | EwA on Spring Obs |Ā Climate & Wildlife Watch journal

šŸ“†Ā EwA Coming EventsĀ

No public in-person events still but we host webinars and virtual meetups. On the EwA calendar this week:
  • EwA's Nature Virtual Hour | Tuesdays at noonĀ (šŸŽŸļø webinar registration): An opportunity to check on each other, share about nature's calendar and sightings, ask question
  • Citizen Science skills webinar Ā»Ā EwA iNat Deep Dive | this Friday at noonĀ (šŸŽŸļø webinar registration)Ā Ā
Check our calendarĀ >Ā http://earthwiseaware.eventbrite.com/

To all of you: Stay healthy!Ā

ā„¹ļøĀ More About EwA Citizen Science Program Ā» here
AnyĀ questionā“Ā Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.
Thanks and Have a Great Weekend!, - Claire
Ā Make an impact - Help ourĀ #ScienceForAllĀ program.
Become an EwA Ambassador today! Ā»Ā https://www.earthwiseaware.org/donate/