EwA Companion Guides (for the Fells)

1 view

EwA

Oct 18, 2018, 4:35:56 PM10/18/18
to EwA-Natu...@googlegroups.com
Dear Citizen Scientists,

I'm exploring how to use the iNat guides functionality to create a set of EwA companion guides for Fells.

It's actually pretty cool as we can pull data from the Encyclopedia of Life to fill those guides.
So far I started a few guides, with their own logo and all (but of course!) :-)
And that we can populate as we sucessfully id species. It's pretty portable + the printing functionality allows different format (book, grid, etc.) So a real good companion for us!
What is also cool is that we can edit (add section, etc.) the content, and replace pics with ours (and we should do that to relate to the species that we are monitoring)...
It's a bit of work to clean and curate pulled content (sometimes pics don't go thru and show breadcrumbs instead + some pics are horrendous).
And sometime you can mess us previous clean-up if you do a batch edit. But still it's a great tool! & so much to explore!
If you want to co-edit any of those guides with me, or if you want to see any other topic here > just tell me!

iNat search results for EwA Guide > https://tinyurl.com/ewa-inat-fells-guides

Cheers, - Claire

EwA

Jan 13, 2019, 12:53:57 PM1/13/19
to Earthwise Aware Nature Circles
Hello EwA Cit-scientists!

I was browsing our EwA iNat guides. Joe, Wonderful pics for the iNat Fells mammals.
And I like that the description and source and credits links back to the iNat observation. It's a good template for the rest of us.

You asked me about the Box turtle in the Fells' endangered species guide, and if they are present. I can't remember where I found the reference, and I did not make a note about the source as I did for the plants! I'll retrieve back the source of this information (did I read that in a paper like I did for the endangered plants...).

Laura don't hesitate to add (and showcase) your pics to illustrate the plants guide! :-)

In preparation for the vernal Pool Program, I'll add a general guide to Vernal Pools (in New England). I'll follow the model from the Encyclopedia of Life. Anybody who wants to jump i is most welcome!

Spring season will be here sooner than we think!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

- Claire