📜 EwA Week Highlights: Often Seen, Not Often Observed

Mike McGlathery

Feb 4, 2024, 3:25:18 PMFeb 4
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
EwA Highlights
February 4, 2024‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
ewa logo.png
EwA Highlights
February 4, 2024

Hello everyone!

Thanks for reading the February 4th edition of the EwA highlights.

📸 This week we’ve got two nice examples of observations that cut against some of EwA’s observation biases. First, this observation of a small flock of Canada geese (Branta canadensis) by Jessica on Friday gives a very common species its due. This species that many of us see multiple times a day is only our 13th-most observed bird species. Of course, there’s a reason for this—Canada geese aren’t exactly the most exciting species to see, and many of our programs take place in wooded habitats where they don’t tend to be found. Nevertheless, they are a species that us humans share outdoor spaces with regularly, and they’re worthy of our curiosity and attention.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© jessicayuan6 · Waltham, MA · Jan. Feb. 2, 2023)

Next, a species we sometimes share even closer spaces with than the goose but don’t observe often, the nothern yellow sac spider (Cheiracanthium mildei). This species is found both outdoors and indoors, although it’s more commonly seen indoors. Its native range is in Europe and it’s thought to have been introduced to this continent by European settlers. Katy observed this one in Somerville.

EwA iNaturalist Record (©Kate Estrop · Somerville, MA · Feb. 4, 2023)

EwA’s most-observed species this week was the American amber jelly fungus (Exidia crenata) this species is very commonly observed this time of year, although it’s present year-round and is EwA’s second-most observed fungus in general (after Fomitopsis betulina, the birch polypore, which can also be observed year-round). Claire took this observation of one last Saturday.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Claire O’Neill · Stoneham, MA · Jan. 27, 2023)

📊 Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling 281 observations of 150 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆 Running tally: To date, we have recorded 172,965 observations of 10,565 distinct species! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅 EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Winter [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

It’s a great time to join our monitoring programs. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides · Field Rosters · Field Notes » All here! | ℹ️ More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s all for this week—hope you have a good one!

-Mike

n38qagv6vbrc