📜 EwA Week Highlights: The Winter World of Bark

Mike McGlathery

Jan 27, 2024, 10:01:43 AMJan 27
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
EwA Highlights
January 27, 2024‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
ewa logo.png
EwA Highlights
January 27, 2024

Hello everyone!

Thanks for reading the January 27 edition of the EwA highlights.

📸 While our local deciduous trees are without their leaves in the winter, that doesn’t mean they lack identifying characteristics. It’s a good time of year to learn more about tree bark and the ways it can help you distinguish between species. Deana observed this sassafras (Sassafras albidum), which can be recognized by its reddish brown bark and the deep furrows that form in the bark as it ages.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Deana Tempest Thomas · North Scituate, RI · Jan. 11, 2023)

Speaking of bark, it can be an important foraging site for lots of insectivorous animals during the winter. While many woodpecker species actually bore into wood to find their food, downy woodpeckers (Dryobates pubescens) typically find their meals under folds and in furrows of tree bark. Jennifer observed this one on Tuesday in Somerville.

EwA iNaturalist Record (©jennifer_clifford · Somerville, MA · Jan. 23, 2023)

EwA’s most-observed species this week was the round bullet gall wasp (Disholcaspis quercusglobulus). This wasp forms galls on oak species (the “quercus” in the species’ latin name refers to the genus name of oaks) and are a common sight at many times of year in New England’s oak forests. Bill observed this one, complete with the hole from which and adult wasp may have emerged, on Monday.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Bill MacIndewar · Medford, MA · Jan. 22, 2023)

📊 Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling 240 observations of 121 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆 Running tally: To date, we have recorded 172,585 observations of 10,552 distinct species! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅 EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Winter [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

It’s a great time to join our monitoring programs. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides · Field Rosters · Field Notes » All here! | ℹ️ More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s all for this week—hope you have a good one!

-Mike

5fu1jm29hz3a