📜 EwA Week Highlights: Jellies and Nereids

Mike McGlathery

Mar 11, 2023, 8:01:07 AM3/11/23
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
EwA Highlights
March 11‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
EwA_Logo-CS.png
EwA Highlights
March 11

Hello everyone!

Thanks for reading the March 11 EwA highlights.

📾 Kat observed this organism from the subfamily Nereidinae (often referred to as ragworms or nereids) in Hingham on Monday. These worms are actually relatively common in most marine habitats of the world, but are a strange sight to us land-dwellers. Nereids practice a wide variety of lifestyles—you can find everything from predators to detritivores in this set of animals. Nereids are an important source of food for some shorebirds, and this presumably deceased one will likely become a snack for some scavenger soon.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Kathleen R Shea · Hingham, MA · Mar. 6, 2023)

The most-observed species in EwA’s biodiversity projects this week was American amber jelly (Exidia crenata), which won the same honor in our highlights for January 28th. This is our first repeat most-observed species since I started tracking them earlier this year. This fungus’s prominence in our iNat observations this winter isn’t a fluke - it has the most observations all-time among all fungi in our biodiversity projects. The photo below, taken by Bill, showcases the texture and translucency of these mushrooms nicely.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Bill MacIndewar · Ashland, MA · Mar. 4, 2023)

📊 Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling 365 observations of 234 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆 Running tally: To date, we have recorded 136,110 observations of 9,187 distinct species! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅 EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Winter [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

Peak schedule: Winter is still a great time to join our monitoring programs. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | đŸŒ± Site Protocols and Guides · Field Rosters · Field Notes » All here! | â„č More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s all for this week—hope you have a good one!

-Mike

336r26wxcrcd