📜 EwA Week Highlights: Munching Meadowhawk, an Endangered Grebe & more

Mike McGlathery

Nov 12, 2022, 10:50:32 AM11/12/22
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
EwA Highlights
November 12th‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
EwA_Logo-CS.png
EwA Highlights
November 12th

Hello everyone!

Here’s the November 12th edition of EwA’s weekly highlights.

📸 First, we have this racoon nestled in the fork of a tree observed by Bill last Saturday in the fells. It felt pretty weird to have such warm weather last weekend – I was shocked to find myself a little too warm walking in jeans and a t-shirt. The warmth must be pretty uncomfortable for animals growing their winter coats.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Bill MacIndewar ·Stoneham, MA · Nov. 6, 2022)

Next, we have this observation of an autumn meadowhawk (Sympetrum vicinum) munching on a fly from Claire. The aptly-named autumn meadowhawk is mostly active as an adult during the fall. Activity from these dragonflies is typically observed up until right around this time of year. I wonder if they’ll stick around longer this year due to the weather.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Claire O’Neill · Middlesex Co., MA · Nov. 6, 2022)

And finally, Dan observed this pied-billed grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) in Arlington. These birds prefer marshy habitats, and due to habitat loss and other factors they are now critically imperiled in the state of Massachusetts. They are most often observed during the shoulder migration seasons here.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Daniel Onea · Arlington, MA · Nov. 6,  2022)

📊 Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling 224 observations of 160 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆 Running tally: To date, we have recorded 130,479 observations of 8,875 distinct species! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅 EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Fall [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

Peak schedule: Our monitoring programs are in full swing, and are occurring every week this time of year. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides · Field Rosters · Field Notes » All here! | ℹ️ More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s all for this week—hope you have a good one!

-Mike

Michael McGlathery
Earthwise Aware Content Editor
5q8xdqlg3v36