January Monthly Links

mlmcglathery

Jan 31, 2020, 12:35:48 PM1/31/20
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group
Hey everyone! Michael here, dropping by with your monthly links for January.

First off, Grow Native Massachusetts is putting on a talk with Doug Tallamy, author of Bringing Nature Home, at Harvard next week. He'll be discussing actions almost anyone can take to protect and nurture biodiversity in our neighborhoods and around the world:

Preview image
Second, while it's obvious that humans impact our environment in drastic ways, quantifying that impact on huge geological processes is always striking. Nature reports on how upstream human activity changes the shape of river deltas:

Preview image

Several large herbivores were recently reintroduced to Gorongosa National Park in Mozambique, and were able to curb the spread of an aggressive invasive plant. the results offer an interesting addition to the story many of us know about wolves returning to Yellowstone:

Preview image
Finding a shark in Kentucky may seem outlandish, but things make a little more sense when you consider the shark was found deep underground and is millions of years old:

Preview image

Recent reports about the collapse of bird populations in North America have been very troubling for all of us at EwA, but today we can end with some good news on that front. Songbird populations are stable to increasing in the national parks of the Canadian Rockies:

Preview image
That's it for this month! Catch you in a few weeks for February's links (and maybe see you in the field before then)!

-Michael

EwA

Jan 31, 2020, 1:50:37 PM1/31/20
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group
Thanks, Mike for our first EwA Monthly Links: They are very interesting links/news!
I am looking forward to the next one, next month!

To all, and about the first link. I'll be at Doug Tallamy's talk this Wednesday (7-8:30pm  at the Harvard University Science Center).
Anyone who wants to join me, email me :-) We can go for a drink after or something too!

Cheers, - Claire