Women, Safety - Staying Alert on Trails

Claire O'Neill

Nov 27, 2021, 4:41:25 PM11/27/21
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group
Sadly, a woman was sexually assaulted yesterday in the Fells [https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2021/11/26/middlesex-fells-reservation-sexual-assault-arrest/]. The woman is now under stable conditions. The man has been arrested. and I can't tell how much this saddens me that it happened.

Many of us go as groups to survey in the Fells, some also hike alone as I do, and as I was yesterday on a trail up where this all happened an hour before I arrived. Women should not have to live in fear when running, hiking, walking. Hopefully, this should shake the institutions responsible for the Fells and make it clear that the safety of the people who visit the Fells is non negotiable.

Cheers! - Claire

Nature Conservation as a Way Of Life

www.earthwiseaware.org | EwA Newsletter Signup »

🧡 Become an EwA #ScienceForAll Ambassador » Donate

Lisa DiRocco

Nov 27, 2021, 5:51:44 PM11/27/21
to claire...@earthwiseaware.org, Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

It is sad, horrifying and infuriating.

--
For more information, visit: https://www.earthwiseaware.org/
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EarthwiseAware/

Karen Heinze

Nov 28, 2021, 2:16:42 PM11/28/21
to Lisa DiRocco, 'Lisa DiRocco' via Earthwise Aware Discussion Group, claire...@earthwiseaware.org
 I arrived at 9:30 on Friday at the Long Pond parking lot for a walk with the Friends of the Fells.
But I made a mistake & got the date wrong.

So I figured what the heck, I can hike by myself. A few minutes in, a hiker told me of what had occurred. So I found a couple that let me accompany them, and we turned around.

It is sad that at least for now, I'll hike in a group only. Or get a dog.

June Mackenzie

Nov 28, 2021, 3:28:51 PM11/28/21
to Karen Heinze, 'Lisa DiRocco' via Earthwise Aware Discussion Group, Lisa DiRocco, claire...@earthwiseaware.org
Yes very sad. I often cross country ski or hike there by myself. I’ll certainly think twice about it now.

Janet Lundstrom

Nov 28, 2021, 3:47:55 PM11/28/21
to June Mackenzie, Karen Heinze, 'Lisa DiRocco' via Earthwise Aware Discussion Group, Lisa DiRocco, claire...@earthwiseaware.org
Hello all,
I have grew up near the Fells, live nearby and have both walked in groups and alone there. I didn’t sleep thinking about the woman who was assaulted, but relieved that the man was arrested and now faces serious charges. How can we support our fellow hiker in her recovery? Can the Friends of the Fells help facilitate this? I am concerned for her well being. It could have been one of us!
Janet Lundstrom
Malden

Sent from my iPad

Claire O'Neill

Nov 28, 2021, 4:03:22 PM11/28/21
to Janet Lundstrom, June Mackenzie, Karen Heinze, 'Lisa DiRocco' via Earthwise Aware Discussion Group, Lisa DiRocco
Thanks all for sharing. I will make sure that the Friends also know about the discussions going on here, so I'll relay that feedback, Janet.