📜 EwA Week Recap: Snowbirds, EwA's Revamped Site, EwA at ESA (Conference) & more...

Claire O'Neill

Feb 28, 2021, 2:47:09 PM2/28/21
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

Here's the recap of another busy week at EwA and a few highlights of what's coming...

Well, it's been as stressful as last week (remember that our site update did not go very well) but the EwA site is back–after more than 600 page-revisions (in less than 7 days)! In some respects, it is now slightly leaner and much cleaner (you got to see the upside, right?). Enjoy!

Good news (follow-up): Answering to the National Phenology Network (USA-NPN) invitation to submit an abstract to the Ecological Society of America Annual 2021 - we submitted it this past Thursday. USA-NPN liked our abstract. The next step is to see ESA accepting it! Cross your fingers, will you!?

📸  So many interesting winter sightings again this week. If we have to pick one, that'd be the sighting of a cute dark-eyed junco spotted by Joe. Dark-eyed juncos are associated with winter, and often nicknamed snowbirds. During the winter months, they flock about 15/25 strong to our backyards - and this all over the US. Little stat-trivia: DYK that they spend about 65% of their time on the ground hopping around the forest floor. This is one of my favorite birds–along with the 10,000 or so other species of birds, 0f course! :-)

📊  Thanks to all for great biodiversity records this week!  - 70 observations total over 55 species. Curious about this week's records that have been validated by the iNat community so far? > here.

Running tally: 🏆  To date, we recorded 58,473 observations of 5,954 distinct species! Check our EwA umbrella project and see the details per site/observer & more... > here

📅  EwA Coming Events

  • Also on the EwA calendar this week: EwA's Nature Virtual Hour | Tuesdays at noon (🎟️  webinar registration) » A great opportunity to gather as a community and share our nature stories and our favorite week's sightings. Don't miss it!

EwA Fieldwork (& Resources)

We're getting ready for 2021 site work. A note: you'll hear about Kathy, Jen, and I for an office hour, so that we decide with our pheno-team how we organize ourselves this year. On another note: I am going to run a virtual training on the rogue trail protocol to solidify our habitat fragmentation study, and get us ready for 2021. We had a very good meeting with the DCR. Coming soon - stay tuned!

While our phenology recording is sparse as flora and fauna slowed down, our biodiversity and habitat documentation fieldwork is as healthy as ever thanks to our group of core citizen scientists who simply rock! 🗺️ EwA Sites Map | 🌱  Site Protocols and Guides - Field Rosters - Field Notes > All here! | ℹ️  More About EwA Citizen Science Program » here

To all of you: Stay healthy!

Any questions❓ Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

Thanks and Have a great week! - Claire

Make an impact - Help our #ScienceForAll program.

Become an EwA Ambassador today! » https://www.earthwiseaware.org/donate/

Photo: Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) | iNaturalist record © Joe MacIndewar