📜 EwA Week Recap (Short): Two Moons Beewolf & Tons of Thanks to EwA's Top Species Association Annotator (Joe)...

Claire O'Neill

May 30, 2021, 6:08:49 PM5/30/21
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group
I am feeling a little under the weather today, so for once I will indulge and skip the comprehensive weekly recap. You can still peruse our biodiversity projects and check all our visual records to date (67,415 observations over 6,212 distinct species). We have quite a few awesome records! It's just awesome to see our community feeding the EwA biodiversity projects. Thanks to all who document with us.

🏆  Today I want to thank Joe MacIndewar particularly. I was working on the arthropod usage of fleabanes (of the genus Erigeron). Often, it takes me literally hours of work to be able to get a sense of those associations (and annotate them along the way so that I don't have to mine data manually again). Last year, we started to encourage a few of our core citizen scientists to annotate their records, and in the case of arthropod records, to help capture plant association through the 'EwA - Associated Plant' field annotation on iNat. It's only the beginning and we're still far from having succeeded to inspire the little extra work, but it's already making a great difference.

I know that a few of our leaders did jump on this project eagerly, and Joe certainly did! Today while working on fleabanes, I felt very thankful (or more exactly more than usual). Today, that migraine that I am struggling with got so much lighter (yes, I am a migraine person). In a few minutes - with a few clicks - I was able to find what I was looking for. Using a reverse query, I was able to find all those arthropods that use the species of Erigeron: 31 species recorded to date. Boy, I do love it when data is rich, usable, and meaningful! Soon, when we have a few more of us annotating, we'll be able to get important reliable knowledge and feed external scientific interaction network databases. To me, that's gold!

We'll have an EwA office hour to show how every one of our iNaturalists can help. Meanwhile, you can check The EwA Quick Guide to iNaturalist Biodiversity Documentation

Thanks again to all who are documenting. And thanks to Joe for annotating plant associations diligently, you rock!

Two Moons Beewolf (Philanthus bilunatus) | © Joe MacIndewar

Nature Conservation as a Way Of Life

www.earthwiseaware.org | EwA Newsletter Signup »

🧡 Become an EwA #ScienceForAll Ambassador » Donate

Joe Macindewar

May 31, 2021, 10:36:00 PM5/31/21
to Claire O'Neill, Earthwise Aware Discussion Group
Thank you for the kind words Claire. I am glad my observation annotations are helpful. And thank you for all of the work you do!

Joe

--
For more information, visit: https://www.earthwiseaware.org/
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EarthwiseAware/