📜 EwA Week Recap: Bark Beetle, Skunk Cabbage, Getting Ready to Document Phenology & more...

Claire O'Neill

Mar 7, 2021, 5:00:16 PM3/7/21
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

Here's the recap of another busy week at EwA and a few highlights of what's coming...

📸  So many interesting winter sightings again this week. If we have to pick one, that'd be the observation of the carving of what we think is a typical bark beetle spotted by Bill and Joe in the Fells. We're also excited to see skunk cabbage flowers popping out in our biodiversity records! it is such a unique plant that we will spend some time talking about this coming weekend during our Fells Forest Exploration (at least that's my plan).

📊  Thanks to all for great biodiversity records this week!  - 230 observations total over 120 species. Curious about this week's records that have been validated by the iNat community so far? > here.

Running tally: 🏆  To date, we recorded 58,726 observations of 5,952 distinct species! Check our EwA umbrella project and see the details per site/observer & more... > here

📅  EwA Coming Events

  • Also on the EwA calendar this week: EwA's Nature Virtual Hour | Tuesdays at noon (🎟️  webinar registration) » A great opportunity to gather as a community and share our nature stories and our favorite week's sightings. Don't miss it!

EwA Fieldwork (& Resources)

While our phenology recording is still sparse at this time of the year we start to notice signs of spring  and we're getting excited to start monitoring! Our leader team is meeting this week so that we get our sites and monitoring pace organized. Stay tuned!

Our biodiversity and habitat documentation fieldwork is otherwise as healthy as ever thanks to our group of core citizen scientists who simply rock! 🗺️ EwA Sites Map | 🌱  Site Protocols and Guides - Field Rosters - Field Notes > All here! | ℹ️ More About EwA Citizen Science Program » here

To all of you: Stay healthy!

Any questions❓ Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

Thanks and Have a great week! - Claire

Make an impact - Help our #ScienceForAll program.

Become an EwA Ambassador today! » https://www.earthwiseaware.org/donate/

Photo: The carving of what could be a typical bark beetle | iNaturalist record © Joe MacIndewar