📜 EwA Week Highlights: Things are Heating Up!

Mike McGlathery

Jun 12, 2022, 8:09:30 PM6/12/22
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone!

The weather is steadily heating up, and EwA’s citizen scientists continue to document a multitude of species for our iNaturalist projects. Let’s take a look at the week’s highlights.

📸  As I’ve said before, we love to keep up with our citizen scientists even while they’re away from the Metro Boston area. Jennifer documented this beautiful two-grooved milkvetch (Astragalus bisulcatus) in Alberta, Canada this week.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Jennifer Clifford · Alberta, Canada · Jun. 7, 2022)

Dan has taken some beautiful photos of birds so far this year, and this week continued the trend. On Saturday, he snapped this glossy ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) in Topsfield—the first EwA observation of the species in Massachusetts since 2020.

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Daniel Onea · Topsfield, MA · Jun. 11, 2022)

Speaking of first observations, Joe and Bill continue to widen the range of arthropod biodiversity present in our iNat records. On Thursday, Joe took this observation of an oak timberworm weevil (Arrhenodes minutus), this first such observation in EwA’s projects. And on Friday, Bill took another observation of the same species!

EwA iNaturalist Record (© Joe Macindewar · Melrose, MA · Jun. 9, 2022)

📊 Thanks to everyone for your great biodiversity records this past week, totaling  1,160 observations of 537 distinct species. If you’re curious about the records from this week that have been validated by the iNat community so far, you can find them » here.

🏆 Running tally: To date, we have recorded 108,549 observations of 7,909 distinct species! Check out our EwA umbrella project, see the details per site/observer, and more » here.

📅 EwA Upcoming Public Events

Ewa Field Events » Check the EwA Spring Program [ Event details and registration » ] Don’t miss some great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and in the local wildlife! Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting the pressure on natural habitats which large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit (or cancel when you know you can’t come) to avoid no-shows.

EwA Fieldwork (and Resources)

Peak schedule: Our monitoring programs are in full swing, and are occurring every week this time of year. Check EwA’s Volunteer Program Calendar 📅  to know when things happen. And if a session is of interest to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

📅 EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides · Field Rosters · Field Notes » All here! | ℹ️ More about EwA’s Citizen Science Program » Here

❓ Do you have any questions? Don’t be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

That’s it for this week—until next time!

-Mike

--
Michael McGlathery
Earthwise Aware Content Editor