Licensing Settings: our iNat observations are not exported to GBIF Biodiversity database

Daniel Onea

Apr 23, 2019, 3:16:09 PM4/23/19
to Earthwise Aware Nature Circles
I have just realized that our observations are not exported to Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF), but I do know we want them there!

The problem is the way we have our licensing set in iNat. It is too restrictive and therefore the records will not be pushed (or pulled) to GBIF. The attached screenshot shows a comparison between the licensing options in iNat versus what GBIF is allowed to pull.

From what I understand, we would need to relax our Licensing to the 3rd option: CC BY-NC (Attribution-NonCommercial). Not sure yet if it needs to be done for Observations and for Photos (and also Sounds).

What do you all think?

Thanks,
Dan

Some more info:

Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF): an international, inter-governmental organization that compiles and distributes biodiversity information from around the world.

Link to Search page in GBIF: https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/search
iNat vs GBIF licensing.jpg

EwA

Apr 23, 2019, 5:00:54 PM4/23/19
to Earthwise Aware Nature Circles
This is such an important find!
Yes, we want our obs to migrate to GIF: that the science part in citizen science.

I just changed all my settings (for observation, sounds, and pics).
I invite you all to do the same with your observations.
Go into "profile setting", scroll down, and click the CC-BY-NC for all 3 categories, also make sure that it updates all your previous records: below each category, there are checkboxes.
Also set CC BY-NC as your default license for these 3 categories.

Thanks a lot Dan for finding that! Pfuuu!

Bill

Apr 24, 2019, 6:48:24 AM4/24/19
to EwA, Earthwise Aware Nature Circles
Thanks Dan! Just changed all my settings...

Bill

Sent from my iPhone