Fantastic Wild Sighting this Morning! + I saw & filmed Kathy :-)

EwA

May 20, 2020, 4:18:29 PM5/20/20
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
What a great day to be in the Fells!

I just spent 5 hours at our Long Pond sites: a couple of hours with Kathy at a respectable distance + I filmed Kathy! Cross your fingers that the video snippets are usable as it's always hard to film in the forest. And then I went to test our survey trees and collected the first arthropod abundance data of the season. Yeah! :-)

BTW, Kathy: (1) It's so great to see you! (2) Did it feel comfortable distance-wise? (3) Thanks a ton for allowing me to film you!

Quick note: I changed 2 of our arthropod survey trees on the high site:
* the gray birch which phenology we'll keep monitoring, but we're stopping recording insect here. It's not doing well. I moved to a maple tree close to our first witch-hazel.
* I moved the survey of the red oak, which we also keep in our phenology monitoring. The branch is not easily accessible and jeopardizes the survey. So, I moved to a nearby red oak, cross our first witch-hazel (looking in the direction of the pond).
Everything will be reflected both in our dynamic site map, and our in our plant visitor protocol very soon.
I'll also do a webinar for our arthropod abundance survey (which uses Caterpillars Count protocol), after the one next week (which is the insect photo survey webinar).

Now, about that sighting! 😲 I was recording arthropod abundance on that new maple when I heard some sort of whining mixed with a commotion up in some of the trees between that maple and the trail. There, on a very tall oak up close to the crown, was a sort of an opening in the main trunk. Whining-whining-whining... resistance... 🐾 and there was a mother fisher cat trying to keep something from getting out of that opening. A little muzzle popped and a kit showed up. She pushed it 'inside, but then she decided that they had to move. I think she grabbed it in her mouth, and she moved along a branch to another location where maybe there is another potential home. Tough to make sense of what was happening at this distance + my main camera is broken. Instead, I have this slow backup camera (sigh), but I think that I got a shot that the mum that is identifiable, and maybe there is even one blurry shot with the little one.

What a sighting! What a precious moment this was for me :-)

Have a great rest of the week!

Cheers, - Claire

Jennifer Clifford

May 20, 2020, 4:31:40 PM5/20/20
to EwA, Earthwise Aware Discussion Group
Get OUT! That is so amazing that you saw that Fisher! I have only seen one once, in NH, walking across the yard. I am so excited, I can only imagine how great that was for you 😁🎆

The other stuff is really awesome too. Can't wait to see Kathy's debut!

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 4:18 PM EwA <claire...@earthwiseaware.org> wrote:
[...]

Now, about that sighting! 😲 I was recording arthropod abundance on that new maple when I heard some sort of winning mixed with a commotion of some sort up in some of the trees between that maple and the trail. There, on a very tall oak up close to the crown, was a sort of an opening in the main trunk. Winning-winning-winning... resistance... 🐾 and there was a mother fisher cat trying to keep something from getting out of that opening. A little muzzle popped and a kit showed up. She pushed it 'inside, but then she decided that they had to move. I think she grabbed it in her mouth, and she moved along a branch to another location where maybe there is another potential home. Tough to make sense of what was happening at this distance + my main camera is broken. Instead, I have this slow backup camera (sigh), but I think that I got a shot that the mum that is identifiable, and maybe there is even one blurry shot with the little one.

--
For more information, visit: https://www.earthwiseaware.org/
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EarthwiseAware/

  Jennifer