📜 EwA Week Highlights: Majestic Eagles, 6942 Species and Counting & More...

Claire O'Neill

Nov 28, 2021, 4:42:18 PM11/28/21
to Earthwise Aware Discussion Group

Here's the recap of another busy week at EwA and a few highlights of what's coming...

📸  So many sightings again this week, including 2 bald eagles spotted during our Fells biodiversity documentation event yesterday. This did help lift the darkness that we all felt after learning about the sexual assault that happened in the Fells the day before. The victim was in stable conditions yesterday, and the man got arrested. Needless to say that the safety of women anywhere is non-negotiable and that this will hopefully shake the organizations responsible for our green spaces to take proper action to guarantee the safety of all in our public spaces.

Pic: Bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) | iNaturalist record © Joe MacIndewar

📊  Thanks to all for great biodiversity records this week! - totaling 244 observations of 145 distinct species. Curious about this week's records that have been validated by the iNat community so far? > here.

Running tally: 🏆  To date, we recorded 88,679 observations of 6,942 distinct species! Check our EwA umbrella project and see the details per site/observer & more... > here

📅 EwA Coming Public Events

EwA Field Events » Check our public field events on the EwA Calendar, our next walks is Dec, Saturday 11th with Kathy and Claire in the morning at the Fells, and in the afternoon at the Growing Center [ See EwA events calendar to register » ] Don't miss great opportunities to follow the rhythm of the season in our local habitats and of its wildlife!. Space is limited for all our field events. Wildlife ethics is important to us and we seek to avoid putting pressure on natural habitats that large gatherings unavoidably do. We are asking our audience to register-and-commit to avoid no-shows (or cancel when you know you can't come)

■ EwA Fieldwork (& Resources)

Winter schedule: Horn Pond and the Fells, We switched to weekly biodiversity scouting sessions, at Horn Pond and the Fells - replacing the weeks where we would usually survey phenology. Pheno surveys are now on a monthly schedule at all sites. Check EwA's Volunteer Program Calendar 🗓️ to know when things happen. And if one session is of interest to you don't hesitate to reach out to get the rendezvous location.

🗺️ EwA Sites Map | 🌱 Site Protocols and Guides - Field Rosters - Field Notes > All here! | ℹ️ More About EwA Citizen Science Program » here

Any questions❓ Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.

Thanks and Have a great week!

Nature Conservation as a Way Of Life

www.earthwiseaware.org | EwA Newsletter Signup »

🧡 Become an EwA #ScienceForAll Ambassador » Donate