Fwd: A big week for us!

1 view

Frank de Jong

Nov 16, 2021, 6:11:11 PM11/16/21
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Prosper Australia <ne...@prosper.org.au>
Date: Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 6:00 PM
Subject: A big week for us!
To: Mr. Frank de Jong <fde...@earthsharing.ca>

Having trouble reading this newsletter? View it online.

PROSPER NEWS
Wednesday 17th November 2021

Dear Frank,

This week is a big one for us.

TODAY, Wednesday, at 3:40pm, our research team will give evidence at the Federal Housing Supply and Affordability Inquiry. The complex problem of ‘housing affordability’ is too often attributed to planning restrictions and land based taxes. Jesse and Emily will present preliminary findings from our forthcoming Staged Releases research report with Dr. Cameron Murray and speak to our submission. We are looking at the price and rate of sales in greenfield estates across Australia to see if developers keep selling lots when the prices come down. You can watch the live stream here - look for "House of Representatives, Standing Committee, Tax and Revenue Committee (Housing affordability and supply in Australia)".

Jesse Hermans also wrote this excellent blog in the lead up to our appearance at the Inquiry.

This week also sees the introduction of the Rezoning Windfall Gains Tax Bill in Victoria. This legislation is something we have been calling for over many years and we are thrilled that it's finally coming to pass. Karl, our Director of Advocacy, has been working hard behind the scenes making sure that cross-bench MPs get the right information in the face of a massive scare campaign led by the property industry. Our recent press release gives a good background about why we support this tax and attempts to derail it. Keep an eye on our Twitter feed today for the announcement that it's gone through the Legislative Council!

This has been keeping us busy, but we're thrilled that some of our evidence and research is starting to affect real change.

We hope you are having a great week.

The Prosper team - Karl, Emily, Jesse and Charlotte

Upcoming Events:

LOST PROPERTY: THE CHALLENGE OF UNCOVERING RESIDENTIAL VACANCY

7 December 2021, 6:30pm

Karl Fitzgerald is speaking at this event, presented by MPavillion, about residential vacancies, along with Emma Joughin, Dr Kate Shaw and Flavia Barar.

Tickets are free!

In case you missed it:

This month we have had op eds and articles feature in:

Karl Fitzgerald recorded his 600th Renegade Economist show for radio 3CR! An amazing achievement, congrats Karl.

CONNECT

DONATE

Together we can create a just and fair society. Your tax-deductible gift will spur our research and advocacy.
Prosper Australia
Level 1
64 Harcourt St.
North Melbourne, VIC 3051