30 October 2021 Earth Science Sites of the Week

1 view

Francek, Mark

Oct 31, 2021, 8:51:38 AM10/31/21
to EA...@ls2.cmich.edu
Hello Everyone,
This week’s 30 October 2021 Earth Science Sites of the Week feature the following resources:
Editor’s Picks: ****1) Visualizing the World’s Watersheds, **2) How Do Tornadoes Form?, **3) How fast would a Ball Drop on Different Solar System Bodies?, 4) Potential Energy Disruptions from Flooding, *5) Carbon Dioxide Levels for the last 300,000 years. 6) States with More Cows than People, 6) Percentage of Males Who Are Circumcised by Country, 7) Some Study That I Used to Know: What Do You Remember From High School?, **7) How the Moon Lights up the Persian Gulf.
Geology and Geography
1. Manhattan's Neighborhood Names
2. 12 Days of Seismology
Water
1. Visualizing the World’s Watersheds
Weather
1. How Do Tornadoes Form?
Space
1. How fast would a Ball Drop on Different Solar System Bodies?
Environmental
1. Potential Energy Disruptions from Flooding
2. Carbon Dioxide Levels
General
1. More Cows than People
2. Percentage of Males Who Are Circumcised by Country
Inspiration
1. Some Study That I Used to Know: What Do You Remember From High School?
Space
1. How the Moon Lights up the Persian Gulf
Geology and Geography
Site Name
Manhattan's Neighborhood Names
Site URL
https://www.reddit.com/r/MapPorn/comments/ngyk45/manhattans_hidden_etymologies/
Site Author
u/paulrobinsonauthor
Suggested by
NESTA Twitter
Description
“Manhattan's hidden etymologies some interesting neighborhood name origins from New York's most eclectic borough.”

Site Name
12 Days of Seismology
Site URL
https://twitter.com/i/status/1342127502039375876
Site Author
NESTA-US
Suggested by
NESTA Twitter
Description
“On the 12th day of #Seismology my Mantle Plume gave to me, Tectonic plate over conduit, Volcanoes rafted away, forming—chain islands!”

Water
Site Name
Visualizing the World’s Watersheds
Site URL
https://hi.stamen.com/rivers-de92f8b462ac
Site Author
Mamata Akella
Suggested by
Simon Kuestenmacher
Description
“New visualizations focus more on the flow and structure of the river than on their final destinations.”
Weather
Site Name
How Do Tornadoes Form?
Site URL
https://scijinks.gov/tornado/
Site Author
SciJinks
Suggested by
NESTA Twitter
Description
“An explanation of Tornadoes”

Space
Site Name
How fast would a Ball Drop on Different Solar System Bodies?
Site URL
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/oi6r51/a_1_kilometer_ball_drop_on_solar_system_bodies_oc/
Site Author
r/dataisbeautiful
Suggested by
Simon Kuestenmacher
Description
“This animation shows a ball dropping from 1000 meters to the surface of each object, assuming no air resistance.”

Environmental
Site Name
Potential Energy Disruptions from Flooding
Site URL
https://atlas.eia.gov/apps/dc09eb46d89e4893b6dce8ee0819d792/explore
Site Author
U.S. Energy Atlas
Suggested by
NESTA Twitter
Description
“Energy infrastructure and live flooding data feeds.”

Site Name
Carbon Dioxide Levels for the last 300,000 years
Site URL
https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1413218840100671488
Site Author
Simon Kuestenmacher
Suggested by
Simon Kuestenmacher
Description
“Carbon dioxide levels over the last 300,000 years.”

General
Site Name
States with More Cows than People
Site URL
https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1408427270918873088
Site Author
Simon Kuestenmacher
Suggested by
Simon Kuestenmacher
Description
“There are more cows than people in the states colored blue.”

Site Name
Percentage of Males Who Are Circumcised by Country
Site URL
https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1411415714720890881
Site Author
Simon Kuestenmacher
Suggested by
Simon Kuestenmacher
Description
“Map shows the share of males that are circumcised.”

Inspiration
Site Name
Some Study That I Used to Know: What Do You Remember From High School?
Site URL
https://ed.ted.com/best_of_web/SiuG5bgI
Site Author
Video created by CollegeHumor Lesson Plan created by Melissa Ganus
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
“How much do you remember from your time in high school? The video in this lesson does a nice a good job of articulating some of the biggest frustrations students and educators have.”

Space
Name
How the Moon Lights up the Persian Gulf
Site URL
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/79834/moon-phases-over-the-persian-gulf
Site Author
NASA Earth Observatory
Suggested By
L. Mascotti
Description
These satellite images illustrate the effects of moonlight on viewing this desert region.

Mark Francek

Professor

Geography

Dow 285