16 April 2022 Earth Science Sites of the Week

1 view

Francek, Mark

Apr 15, 2022, 9:24:35 PM4/15/22
to EA...@ls2.cmich.edu
Hello Everyone,
This week’s 16 April 2022 Earth Science Sites of the Week feature the following resources:
Editor’s Picks: 1) Mapped: Human Impact on the Earth’s Surface, 2) Video: Is Success Luck or Hard Work?, 3) Video: Why Mosquitoes Bite Some People More Than Others, 4) Video: Where Do Trees Get Their Mass?
Geology and Geography
1. Video: Heartbeat of a Volcano (1970)
Weather
1. Video: Defog your Windows TWICE as Fast Using SCIENCE- 4 Easy Steps
Space
1. Video: How to Find a Meteorite in Your Own Backyard
Environmental
1. Mapped: Human Impact on the Earth’s Surface
General
1. Video: Is Success Luck or Hard Work?
2. Video: Why Mosquitoes Bite Some People More Than Others
3. Video: Where Do Trees Get Their Mass?
Geology and Geography
Site Name
Heartbeat of A Volcano (1970)
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYHRY4Kd-WA&list=PLpZ695g0HKEnlpIBvwjRGvnPTJpPz554g&index=11
Site Author
What Could Go Wrong?
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
An exciting film featuring footage of a real volcanic eruption an island in Hawaii.

Weather
Site Name
Defog your Windows TWICE as Fast Using SCIENCE- 4 Easy Steps
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCmgWiEEZwA
Site Author
Mark Rober
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Here are 4 steps to defog your windshield twice as fast in the morning and the science behind why it works.

Space
Site Name
How to Find a Meteorite in Your Own Backyard
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF8wY7iGNeI
Site Author
Scientific American
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
The Earth is peppered by meteorites all the time. This is how you can find one on your own.

Environmental
Site Name
Mapped: Human Impact on the Earth’s Surface
Site URL
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/mapped-human-impact-on-the-earths-surface/
Site Author
Nick Routley
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
“Our cities, infrastructure, agriculture, and pollution are all forms of stress we place on the natural world. This map, by David M. Theobald et al., shows just how much of the planet we’ve now modified. The researchers estimate that 14.6% or 18.5 million km² of land area has been modified – an area greater than Russia.”

General
Site Name
Is Success Luck or Hard Work?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LopI4YeC4I
Site Author
Veritasium
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
In a competitive world, tiny advantages can make all the difference.

Site Name
Why Mosquitoes Bite Some People More Than Others
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38gVZgE39K8
Site Author
Veritasium
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Mosquitoes are attracted to me and it's likely due to my genes.

Site Name
Where Do Trees Get Their Mass?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KZb2_vcNTg
Site Author
Veritasium
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Trees can weigh hundreds or even thousands of tons, but where do they get this mass from? A few common answers are: the soil, water, and sunlight. But the truth is the vast majority of a dry tree's mass comes from the air - it originated as carbon dioxide

Mark Francek
Professor of Geography and Environmental Studies
Dow 285
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859
Phone: (989) 774 7617
Spring 2022 Office Hours: TTh 11-1:30 or by app't.

Apr16_SOW done.pdf