30 April 2022 Earth Science Sites of the Week

Francek, Mark

May 2, 2022, 8:57:14 AM5/2/22
to EA...@ls2.cmich.edu
This will be the last installment of the “Earth Science Sites of the Week” until mid-September, 2022. I am grateful to Emily, our office assistant, for help in formatting the weekly mailing.

Hello Everyone,
This week’s 30 April 2022 Earth Science Sites of the Week feature the following resources:
Editor’s Picks: **1) The Snowflake Mystery, **2) Is NASA a Waste of Money?
3) Green Bonds: Lasting Solutions For Climate Change, ***4) Car vs. World’s Strongest Trampoline- 150ft (45m) drop, 5) World's Largest Horn Shatters Glass.
Geology and Geography
1. Seismic ‘Telescope’ Reveals a Titanic, Tree-Like Plume Feeding Earth’s Volcanoes
Weather
1. The Snowflake Mystery
Space
1. Is NASA a Waste of Money?
Environmental
1. Green Bonds: Lasting Solutions For Climate Change
General
1. CAR vs. WORLD’S STRONGEST TRAMPOLINE- 150ft (45m) drop
2. BEAT ANY ESCAPE ROOM- 10 Proven Tricks and Tips
3. World's Largest Horn Shatters Glass
Geology and Geography
Site Name
Seismic ‘Telescope’ Reveals a Titanic, Tree-Like Plume Feeding Earth’s Volcanoes
Site URL
https://www.wired.com/story/a-huge-subterranean-tree-is-moving-magma-to-earths-surface/
Site Author

Jason Dorrier
Suggested by

L. Mascotti
Description
Animation of the Plume feeding the Earth’s volcanoes.

Weather
Site Name
The Snowflake Mystery
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao2Jfm35XeE
Site Author
Veritasium
Suggested by
Marion O. Weaver
Description
Dr Ken Libbrecht is the world expert on snowflakes, designer of custom snowflakes, snowflake consultant for the movie Frozen - his photos appear on postage stamps all over the world.

Space
Site Name
Is NASA a Waste of Money?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lARpY0nIQx0
Site Author
Mark Rober
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
1 in 4 Americans thinks NASA's budget should be reduced. I feel this stems from misunderstandings like how much NASA actually gets in the first place. I tried to shed some light on some of the work NASA does from my personal experience to make a case for why NASA is one of the best investments we make with our tax dollars.

Environmental
Site Name
Green Bonds: Lasting Solutions For Climate Change
Site URL
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/green-bonds-lasting-solutions-for-climate-change/
Site Author
Sponsored Content
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
“How much will it cost to combat climate change? By some estimates, a staggering $50 trillion. And while this may seem like an impossibly daunting figure, you should know there is a solution to this financing gap: green bonds.”

General
Site Name
Car vs. World’s Strongest Trampoline- 150ft (45m) drop
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMKXbLBgkEc
Site Author
Mark Rober
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Dropping a car onto a trampoline.

Site Name
Beat Any Escape Room- 10 Proven Tricks and Tips
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwgaTYOx0RI
Site Author
Mark Rober
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
I visited Dr. Scott Nicholson in Brantford, ON Canada since he is the world expert in Escape Room design. After meeting with him for a day here are the 10 tips I came away with to beat any escape room:

Site Name
World's Largest Horn Shatters Glass
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFEB0chiuJA
Site Author
Mark Rober
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
I made a huge horn and broke glass with it and explored why horns are shaped the way they are.

Mark Francek
Professor of Geography and Environmental Studies
Dow 285
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859
Phone: (989) 774 7617
Spring 2022 Office Hours: TTh 11-1:30 or by app't.

Apr30_SOW done.pdf