19 March 2022 Earth Science Sites of the Week

1 view

Francek, Mark

Mar 18, 2022, 9:23:00 AM3/18/22
to EA...@ls2.cmich.edu
Hello Everyone,
This week’s 19 March 2022 Earth Science Sites of the Week feature the following resources:
Editor’s Picks: *1) 13 Misconceptions about Global Warming, 2) Earth’s Moon: Great Introduction, *****3) Infographic: Visualizing the Accumulation of Human-Made Mass on Earth, **4) Video: Feeding Bill Gates a Fake Burger (to save the world) 5) Why Do Paper Cuts Hurt So Much?
Geology and Geography
1. Stalagmites Point to Caves' Shaky History
2. Are We Facing the Sixth Mass Extinction?
Water
1. Tides and Water Levels
Weather
1. 13 Misconceptions about Global Warming
Space
1. Geek out session: Will we ever get to Mars?
Environmental
1.Visualizing the Accumulation of Human-Made Mass on Earth
2. Feeding Bill Gates a Fake Burger (to save the world)
General
1. Why Do Paper Cuts Hurt So Much?
2. Are You Lightest In The Morning?
3. I Asked Bill Gates What's The Next Crisis?
Geology and Geography
Site Name
Stalagmites Point to Caves' Shaky History
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN8zTk4vFmM
Site Author
Scientific American
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Researchers can crack open stalagmites to uncover ancient earthquakes and changes in cave climate.

Site Name
Are We Facing the Sixth Mass Extinction?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INWqAABweTg
Site Author
Scientific American
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
According to the United Nations, we are losing about 200 species per day--a thousand times the normal background rate of extinction. How does this stack up to previous mass extinctions? Scientific American editor Fred Guterl explains.

Water
Site Name
Tides and Water Levels
Site URL
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/tutorial_tides/tides02_cause.html
Site Author
NOAA
Suggested by
Virginia Malone
Description
The relationship between the masses of the Earth, moon and sun and their distances to each other play a critical role in affecting the Earth's tides

Weather
Site Name
13 Misconceptions About Global Warming
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWXoRSIxyIU
Site Author
Veritasium
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Common misconceptions about climate change.

Space
Site Name
Geek out session: Will we ever get to Mars?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eB7ma1QzbE
Site Author
Scientific American
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Join Scientific American for a conversation about the next steps in humanity’s reconnaissance of Mars. Featuring Casey Dreier, senior space policy adviser at The Planetary Society, and space & physics editor Lee Billings, this deep dive will begin with an overview of NASA’s upcoming.

Name
Earth’s Moon: Great Introduction
Site URL
https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/moons/earths-moon/lunar-phases-and-eclipses/
Site Author
NASA
Suggested By
L. Mascotti
Description
Nice student friendly intro to the moon

Environmental
Site Name
Visualizing the Accumulation of Human-Made Mass on Earth
Site URL
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/visualizing-the-accumulation-of-human-made-mass-on-earth/
Site Author
Bruno Venditti
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
“In this infographic based on a study published in Nature, we break down the composition of all human-made materials and the rate of their production.”

Site Name
Feeding Bill Gates a Fake Burger (to save the world)
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k-V3ESHcfA
Site Author
Mark Rober
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Sometimes the scientific method takes us to new frontiers. Thanks to Bill and Melinda Gates for partnering with me on this video.

General
Site Name
Why Do Paper Cuts Hurt So Much?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2FLuU5obhM
Site Author
Scientific American
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Some of the most infuriating and stabbing pain is caused by nothing but a thin sheet of paper. Scientific American editor Ferris Jabr explains why the page of a book can sometimes cause more anguish than a blade.

Site Name
Are You Lightest In The Morning?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL2e0rWvjKI
Site Author
Veritasium
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Are you heaviest at night before you go to bed and lightest in the morning? I tried to tease out the factors to figure out what really causes weight gain and loss during the day, and what causes daily weight fluctuations.

Site Name
I Asked Bill Gates What's The Next Crisis?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grv1RJkdyqI
Site Author
Veritasium
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
I got the chance to interview Bill Gates so I asked him: Will Covid-19 be the last pandemic? How does he deal with misinformation and conspiracy theories? And what is the next disaster? The Foundation Letter is here: https://ve42.co/BG21

Mark Francek
Professor of Geography and Environmental Studies
Dow 285
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859
Phone: (989) 774 7617
Spring 2022 Office Hours: TTh 11-1:30 or by app't.

Mar19_SOW.pdf