26 February 2022 Earth Science Sites of the Week

1 view

Francek, Mark

Feb 25, 2022, 8:59:13 AM2/25/22
to EA...@ls2.cmich.edu
Hello Everyone,
This week’s 26 February 2022 Earth Science Sites of the Week feature the following resources:
Editor’s Picks:**1) Top 5 Largest Landslides Caught on Video, 2) Should Largest Body of Water in California, Exist? 3) How Do Hurricanes Form?, **3.5) What Is the Metaverse? A Beginner’s Guide to Tech’s Latest Obsession, ****4) Mapped: Food Production around the World Interactive, 5) Why Are 96,000,000 Black Balls on This Reservoir? **6) Why Do We Love Chocolate?, 7) Why Do We Sleep?
Geology and Geography
1. CQL Virtual Programs Fissures and Subsidence with Joe Cook 10.5.2021
2. Top 5 Largest Landslides Caught on Video
Water
1. Should This Lake Exist?
Weather
1. How Do Hurricanes Form?
Space
1. The Loneliest Place in the Universe
2. What Is the Metaverse? A Beginner’s Guide to Tech’s Latest Obsession
Environmental
1. Mapped: Food Production around the World
2. Why Are 96,000,000 Black Balls on This Reservoir?
General
1. Why Do We Love Chocolate?
2. Why Do We Sleep?
3. How Does Google Know Everything about Me?
Geology and Geography
Site Name
CQL Virtual Programs Fissures and Subsidence With Joe Cook 10.5.2021
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgQQ2ZtIDsY
Site Author
Copper Queen Library
Suggested by
NESTA
Description
An overview of the history of earth fissures in Arizona, their causes, hazards associated with their presence, and outlook for the future

Site Name
Top 5 Largest Landslides Caught on Video
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sqfUKEGx9Q
Site Author
Top Fives
Suggested by
NESTA
Description
Landslides are a scary and powerful force of nature. Today we're doing the top five largest landslides caught on video.

Water
Site Name
Should Largest Body of Water in California, Exist?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqrZG-EBaQ
Site Author
Veritasium
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
The Salton Sea is the largest body of water in California, home to the second most diverse group of birds in America and it exists by accident.

Weather
Site Name
How Do Hurricanes Form?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k35Gwb0FFU0
Site Author
Scientific American
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Hurricane season begins in May and lasts through November, producing dozens of powerful hurricanes.

Space
Site Name
The Loneliest Place in the Universe
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-dIBZpIX2Q
Site Author
Scientific American
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
In this installment of 60 Second Science, Clara Moskowitz tells us why this corner of the universe is not only lonely, but cold and lonely

Environmental
Site Name
Mapped: Food Production Around the World Interactive
Site URL
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cp/mapped-food-production-around-the-world/
Site Author
Our World in Data
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
“From staple crops to exotic fruit, this interactive map from Our World in Data shows global food production using data from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).”

Site Name
Why Are 96,000,000 Black Balls on This Reservoir?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxPdPpi5W4o
Site Author
Veritasium
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
I took a boat through 96 million black plastic balls on the Los Angeles reservoir to find out why they're there. The first time I heard about shade balls the claim was they reduce evaporation. But it turns out this isn't the reason they were introduced.

General
Site Name
Why Do We Love Chocolate?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNyhCQEa7Jw
Site Author
Scientific American
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
Our love affair with chocolate is nothing new, but in recent years scientists have tried to uncover the source of our cocoa cravings. Scientific American editor Dina Fine Maron digs through the available evidence, looking for a morsel of truth.

Site Name
Why Do We Sleep?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nloapHXrguw
Site Author
Scientific American
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
We spend nearly a third of our lives asleep, but scientists don't agree on sleep's purpose. Scientific American contributor Joss Fong explains what we know, and don't know, about our nightly slumber.

Site Name
How Does Google Know Everything about Me?
Site URL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg0ZqVGKtq0
Site Author
Scientific American
Suggested by
Mark Francek
Description
You may wonder how Google knows what you’re typing, where you are or even what you’re thinking—they use your data to do it all.

Mark Francek
Professor of Geography and Environmental Studies
Dow 285
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859
Phone: (989) 774 7617
Spring 2022 Office Hours: TTh 11-1:30 or by app't.

Feb26_SOWdone.pdf