15 May 2021 Earth Science Sites of the Week

1 view

Francek, Mark

May 17, 2021, 3:52:36 PM5/17/21
to EA...@ls2.cmich.edu
Hello everyone,

This will be the last mailing of the “Earth Science Sites of the Week” until mid-September, 2021. I am grateful for Twitter recommendations from Simon Kuestenmacher and NESTA. Alexa, our office assistant, helped with formatting. Have a safe, restful, and recharging summer!

This week’s 15 May 2021 Earth Science Sites of the Week feature the following resources:

Editor’s Picks: ***1) Top Agricultural Crop by State, 2) Are Governments Following the Science on Covid-19? ****3) Comparison of Area of Land Vs Area of Sea Across the Globe,
*****4) Unfolding the Earth Through Different Projection Interactive, 5) Downslope Winds Infographic, **6) Winter Weather Warnings Infographic, 7**) Freeze Warning Vs Frost Advisory Infographic, *8) What’s A Blizzard? Infographic.

General

1. United States of Agriculture
2. It’s Going to be Alright
3. Ratio of Male to Female Suicides
4. The Scientific Method? Are Governments Following the Science on Covid-19?
Geosphere

1. Comparison of Area of Land Vs Area of Sea Across the Globe
2. Unfolding the Earth Through Different Projection Interactive

Weather

1. Downslope Winds Infographic
2. Winter Weather Warnings Infographic
3. Freeze Warning Vs Frost Advisory Infographic
4. What’s a Blizzard? Infographic

General
Name
TOP AGRICULTURAL CROP BY STATE
Site URL
https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1326269156187140096/photo/1
Site Author
Simon Kuestenmacher
Suggested By
Simon Kuestenmacher
Description
“Map shows the top agriculture crop in each state of the US.”

Name
IT’S GOING TO BE ALRIGHT
Site URL
https://preview.redd.it/qmkeut6hutx51.gif?format=mp4&s=107f380b065771ea0a09048df5d8af71867a5944
Site Author
Gello Hoodbye
Suggested By
Simon Kuestenmacher
Description
Short feel-good video

Name
RATIO OF MEN’S TO WOMEN’S SUICIDES
Site URL
https://i.redd.it/55kaww79n8x51.png
Site Author
WHO
Suggested By
Simon Kuestenmacher
Description
Map of ratio of men to women suicides in each country.

Name
ARE GOVERNMENTS FOLLOWING THE SCIENCE ON COVID-19?
Site URL
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/11/11/are-governments-following-the-science-on-covid-19
Site Author
Frontiers in Public Health
Suggested By
Simon Kuestenmacher
Description
“Are governments following the science on covid-19? The chart shows how 25,000 scientists around the world rate their own governments.” Graph dated from 11/11/20

Geosphere
Name
COMPARISON OF AREA OF LAND VS AREA OF SEA ACROSS THE GLOBE
Site URL
https://twitter.com/i/status/1327218100803133441
Site Author
Neil Kaye
Suggested By
Simon Kuestenmacher
Description
“Comparison of area of land vs area of sea across the globe, on this equal area map each box is about the area of Australia or the contiguous USA- we are a water world!”

Name
Site URL
http://philogb.github.io/page/myriahedral/
Site Author
Phil Ogb
Suggested By
Simon Kuestenmacher
Description
Explore Earth through a number of different projections.

Weather
Name
DOWNSLOPE WINDS INFOGRAPHIC
Site URL
https://www.weather.gov/images/wrn/Infographics/downslope-winds.png
Site Author
NOAA
Suggested By
NESTA Twitter
Description
How a downslope wind works infographic..

Name
WINTER WEATHER WARNINGS INFOGRAPHIC
Site URL
https://www.weather.gov/images/wrn/Infographics/snow_products.png
Site Author
NOAA
Suggested By
NESTA Twitter
Description
Difference between a blizzard warning, winter storm warning, and winter weather advisory infographic..

Name
FREEZE WARNING VS FROST ADVISORY INFOGRAPHIC
Site URL
https://www.weather.gov/images/wrn/Infographics/WWA_frostfreeze.png
Site Author
NOAA
Suggested By
NESTA Twitter
Description
Difference between a freeze warning and a frost advisory infographic..

Name
WHAT’S A BLIZZARD? INFOGRAPHIC
Site URL
https://www.weather.gov/images/wrn/Infographics/whats-a-blizzard.png
Site Author
NOAA
Suggested By
NESTA Twitter
Description
Characteristics of a blizzard infographic.

Mark Francek
Professor of Geography and Environmental Studies
Dow 285
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859
Phone: (989) 774 7617
Spring 2021 Office Hours: TTh 10:30-1 or by app't. in person or WebEx

winmail.dat