19 February 2022 Earth Science Sites of the Week

1 view

Francek, Mark

Feb 18, 2022, 9:26:22 AM2/18/22
to EA...@ls2.cmich.edu
Hello Everyone,

This week’s 19 February 2022 Earth Science Sites of the Week feature the following resources:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Editor’s Picks: 1) Every Rock Has A Story - Teachers & Parents Guide for The Original Episodes, ****2) Video: Winter Boot Safety Is a Slippery Slope, ****3) Video: Why Is Wool Warmer than Cotton? ***4) Video: What is the smart grid? **5) If You Think It’s Love, Switch to Decaf: How We Misinterpret Emotional Arousal, ***6) Watch Some of the Best Video Microscopy in the World, 7) Video: The Fat-Fueled Brain - Best of the Blogs #9. **8) Google Earth Pro.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Geology and Geography
1. Every Rock Has A Story - Teachers & Parents Guide for The Original Episodes (2020)

2. Japan's Okinawa Coastlines Struggling With Pumice Stones from Volcanic Eruption
Water
1. Winter Boot Safety Is a Slippery Slope
Weather
1. Why Is Wool Warmer Than Cotton?
Space
1. Dawn Mission to Vesta and Ceres
Environmental
1. ENSO and Climate Change: What does the new IPCC report say?

2. What is the smart grid?
General
1. If You Think It’s Love, Switch to Decaf: How We Misinterpret Emotional Arousal

2. Watch Some of the Best Video Microscopy in the World

3.The Fat-Fueled Brain - Best of the Blogs #9

Geology and Geography

Site Name

Japan's Okinawa Coastlines Struggling With Pumice Stones From Volcanic Eruption

Site URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xMk6leVtig

Site Author

Teens Voice

Suggested by

NESTA

Description

Large amounts of pumice stone continued to clog the coastline off the coast of Okinawa on Sunday, as authorities begin a three-week clean-up operation.

Site Name

Every Rock Has A Story - Teachers & Parents Guide for The Original Episodes (2020)

Site URL

https://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=r4Oo09qrTxY&list=PLtVqN6UEeKI4CvQPou6CoEqfEtoAPPLrV

Site Author

Ethan Baxter’s “Every Rock Has a Story”

Suggested by

NESTA

Description

Each episode conveys the story of a rock, hosted by me, Boston College professor of Earth & Environmental Sciences, Ethan Baxter.

Water

Site Name

Winter Boot Safety Is a Slippery Slope

Site URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrHXZ1SmQak

Site Author

Scientific American

Suggested by

Mark Francek

Description

Researchers put a tiny ice rink on a tipping platform to measure how much grip winter boots really have.

Weather

Site Name

Why Is Wool Warmer Than Cotton?

Site URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etT1mb1QhuA

Site Author

Scientific American

Suggested by

Mark Francek

Description

Scientific American investigates the physical properties of socks.

Space

Site Name

Dawn Mission to Vesta and Ceres

Site URL

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/missions/dawn/overview/

Site Author

NASA

Suggested by

NESTA

Description

Dawn launched in 2007 on a journey that put about 4.3 billion miles (6.9 billion kilometers) on its odometer. Propelled by ion engines, the spacecraft achieved many firsts until its extended mission concluded on Oct. 31, 2018.

Environmental

Site Name

ENSO and Climate Change: What does the new IPCC report say?

Site URL

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/enso-and-climate-change-what-does-new-ipcc-report-say

Site Author

Tom Di Liberto

Suggested by

Mark Francek

Description

“Last month, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released their Working Group 1 report on the Physical Science Basis of Climate Change (1)… what does this exhaustive summary of climate research have to say about the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) and climate change? Let’s dig in!”

Site Name

What is the smart grid?

Site URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8cM4WfZ_Wg

Site Author

Scientific American

Suggested by

Mark Francek

Description

Whether we want it or not, the "smart grid" is on its way. In this animated guide we show you the essential features.

General

Site Name

If You Think It’s Love, Switch to Decaf: How We Misinterpret Emotional Arousal

Site URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hNbY8Ga0Q

Site Author

Scientific American

Suggested by

Mark Francek

Description

Psychology shows a great date might be more than just a walk in the park.

Site Name

Watch Some of the Best Video Microscopy in the World

Site URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUO-3eGgQ6Q

Site Author

Scientific American

Suggested by

Mark Francek

Description

Nikon’s Small World in Motion video competition is filled with moving delights.

Site Name

The Fat-Fueled Brain - Best of the Blogs #9

Site URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ESsBoKA3w

Site Author

Scientific American

Suggested by

Mark Francek

Description

OK, it’s dated. Check out the hottest science posts for October 2013, fresh from the Scientific American blog network. Carin Bondar, the biologist with a twist, is your host.

Name

Google Earth Pro

Site URL

https://www.google.com/earth/versions/

Site Author

The folks at Google

Suggested By

L. Mascotti

Description

Google Earth is a computer program, formerly known as Keyhole EarthViewer, that renders a 3D representation of Earth based primarily on satellite imagery. The program maps the Earth by superimposing satellite images, aerial photography, and GIS data onto a 3D globe, allowing users to see cities and landscapes from various angles. Users can explore the globe by entering addresses and coordinates, ...also imagery of the moon and Mars...... en.wikipedia.org

Mark Francek
Professor of Geography and Environmental Studies
Dow 285
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859
Phone: (989) 774 7617
Spring 2022 Office Hours: TTh 11-1:30 or by app't.

winmail.dat