Language and Literacy Curriculum

Jennifer Paris

Apr 8, 2017, 4:52:56 AM4/8/17
to Early Childhood Education OER Collaboration
Please share your resources related to courses in Language and Literacy here.

Laura Paciorek

May 9, 2018, 3:37:12 PM5/9/18
to Early Childhood Education OER Collaboration
Hi! Is this useful? It's my "class flow" for the language/literacy curriculum class. It has all of the readings and is most updated. If you look at the very end there are "optional" Readings, too, which may be useful if people want to delve deeper.

These are ZTC, not OER.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kgu5AA5jF-jPo8CcMGlF5VIwDd3fcNA6GrqYaznoQmY/edit?usp=sharing

There is also the document that I pulled from to make this class flow. However, it's kind of a mess because links have broken, things have gone away, etc... So I have really only been maintaining the class flow (above).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zksYx_ccHMurItd60MeEE4eiRkM5WzhXxQqEwVuPhvg

-Laura Paciorek

professorspru...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2018, 10:21:12 PM9/8/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

 Laura,

I decided to teach the Children's Literature (birth-age 8) class due to some concerns I had and began reading the selected textbook which is for elementary ed.  The first chapter highlights the Charlottes Web, Harry Potter, and other chapter books. There is no focus or mention at all for literacy for birth through age 5.  The class begins on Sept. 17.  The students have already purchased the books, but I would like to use many of your resources and like the class flow that you have.

May I use your class flow and resources with edits as supplements in a class I'm teaching?

And thank you to everyone in this group!  As I kept reading the textbook knowing I needed supplemental materials, the first place I thought to look tonight was this group!

Sonia Pruneda-Hernandez
Montgomery College
Early Childhood Coordinator

amanda taintor

Sep 10, 2018, 1:03:54 PM9/10/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
A colleague (Kendra Mull) takes the credit for finding this repository of lesson plans. Licensed CCBY!
https://www.onecommunityglobal.org/lesson-plans-for-life/

amanda taintor

Sep 17, 2018, 10:18:14 PM9/17/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Course out of Boston on Literacy development! Lots of great information in the class.
http://ocw.umb.edu/early-education-development/echd-440-640-eec-language-and-literacy-course/learning-module.html

amanda taintor

Sep 20, 2018, 12:00:26 PM9/20/18
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
This had some great resources which might be useful here! Thanks Kendra Mull for finding it http://www.heart-resources.org/topic/early-childhood-development/

Jennifer Paris

Jan 16, 2019, 3:33:44 PM1/16/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Jennifer Paris

Jan 26, 2019, 12:25:53 PM1/26/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Here is a complete textbook on children's literature: https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/childrens_lit_textbook/

amanda taintor

Jan 28, 2019, 1:31:29 PM1/28/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Jennifer Paris

May 8, 2019, 7:46:46 PM5/8/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
SCRIPT NC has given permission for their resources to be used for non commercial purposes. But most of their content is linked to a outside resources that are copyrighted (that could be used for a ZTC, but not for OER). Here is their landing page for Language and Literacy: https://scriptnc.fpg.unc.edu/language-and-literacy

Jennifer Paris

Sep 1, 2019, 4:40:13 PM9/1/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Jennifer Paris

Dec 13, 2019, 4:34:54 PM12/13/19
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Head Start publication on code-switching for dual language learners: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/code-switching-why-it-matters-eng.pdf (public domain)

Kim M

Apr 19, 2020, 1:35:38 AM4/19/20
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Hi! I really like her course, however, I cannot access it through my college canvas log in and I cannot find it in Commons. Do you happen to have the Course files I can import??

Jennifer Paris

Apr 19, 2020, 1:42:41 AM4/19/20
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Hi, Kim.

When I searched using MiraCosta College, I was able to find it on Canvas Commons. Hope that helps!

Jennifer

Kim M

May 22, 2020, 4:28:30 PM5/22/20
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
This is great! I am going to use it for my CD 19 class this Fall 2020. Would love to know of any updates you've made to this or even to see the Online course if you have it!

Jennifer Paris

May 30, 2020, 4:25:08 AM5/30/20
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
The Inside, Outside, and Upside Downs of Children's Literature: From Poets and Pop-ups to Princesses and Porridge at: https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/childrens_lit_textbook/ This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License. (can be used freely, but not modified)

Jennifer Paris

Aug 4, 2021, 7:46:23 PM8/4/21
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

OER Books have been created by Hostos College (in NY). Currently in Libguides; a request has been made to have them added to LibreTexts

Jennifer Paris

May 3, 2022, 2:25:36 PM5/3/22
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Here is a new book on early literacy by several faculty from the Virginia Community College System (unrelated to the seven books authored by COC). It is licensed CC BY-NC-SA.

Book Dash has a collection of children's books with a CC BY 4.0 license. There are blank versions of the book (so students could make their own digital children’s books).

Kim M

May 5, 2022, 12:47:11 PM5/5/22
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Thanks for this. I tried the Book Dash site but it wouldn't open. I tried several ways/browsers, etc. and nothing worked. I really hope this site is still up and running.

Paris, Jennifer

May 5, 2022, 4:10:04 PM5/5/22
to Kim M, Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

That is so strange. The Book Dash link below works for me. If you Google Book Dash, you should be able to find it as well. The URL for the homepage of their website is: bookdash.org

Laura Paciorek

Oct 1, 2022, 10:31:13 AM10/1/22
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Dear Colleagues:

I found an open access book about Translanguaging. The first part is all focused on early childhood education:
Licence: CC BY
Laura

Jennifer Paris

Feb 10, 2023, 9:12:42 PM2/10/23
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Methods of Teaching Early Literacy

Authors: Nandita Gurjar; Sohyun Meacham; and Constance Beecher from Iowa State University

Book Description: Theories, teaching strategies, and instructional materials pertinent to teaching reading and writing in grades PK-3, with an emphasis on integrating reading, writing, speaking, and listening, as well as integration across content areas while addressing diversity and inclusion.

License: CC BY

Table of Contents:

Jennifer Paris

Feb 10, 2023, 9:23:36 PM2/10/23
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Christine Schull

Mar 8, 2023, 12:36:30 PM3/8/23
to Jennifer Paris, Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Hi everyone,
Happy Open Week! I wanted to share this early literacy textbook that was a collaboration among authors at two and four-year institutions in Virginia. It is focused on language and literacy from birth-K. I am still learning the Licensing terms, because we had the benefit of a librarian on our team. Ours is listed as: Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike.

Title: Early Childhood Literacy: Engaging and Empowering Emergent Readers and Writers, Birth – Age 5  https://viva.pressbooks.pub/earlychildhoodliteracy/

Authors: Christine Pegorraro Schull, PhD, Northern Virginia Community College, Leslie La Croix, PhD, George Mason University, Sara E. Miller, EdD, Longwood University, Kimberly Sanders Austin, PhD, Southwest Virginia Community College, Julie K. Kidd, EdD, George Mason University

Jennifer Paris

Apr 22, 2023, 2:17:40 AM4/22/23
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Here is another collection of openly licensed and public domain children's books from Pratham Books.

Jennifer Paris

Aug 7, 2023, 3:46:51 AM8/7/23
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Here is a new OER book out of Iowa.

Methods of Teaching Early Literacy Copyright © 2023 by Nandita Gurjar; Sohyun Meacham; and Constance Beecher is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.

Table of Contents
    1. Constance Beecher

    1. Sohyun Meacham

    1. Constance Beecher and Emily Hayden

    1. Sohyun Meacham

    2. Chapter 6. Vocabulary

      Constance Beecher

    3. Chapter 8. Writing

      Nandita Gurjar and Sohyun Meacham

    1. Constance Beecher; Sohyun Meacham; and Nandita Gurjar

amandata...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2023, 4:20:48 PM12/13/23
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

Jennifer Paris

Feb 26, 2024, 5:28:00 PMFeb 26
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
The project “1001 Languages” by Bücherpiraten (Book Pirates) provides over 30 digital picture books written and illustrated by children that have been translated into many languages. You choose the two languages and the formatting for the book and you get a downloaded file. Some books also have audio. (Freely available, but they hold the rights to the books.)

amandata...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2024, 2:07:28 PMApr 10
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration

 Early Childhood Literacy – Simple Book Publishing (nscc.ca)

Copyright © 2021 by Christine Pegorraro Schull; Leslie La Croix; Sara E. Miller; Kimberly Sanders Austin; and Julie K. Kidd is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.

amandata...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2024, 2:25:54 PMApr 10
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
"The Inside, Outside, and Upside Downs of Children's Literature: From P" by Jenifer Jasinski Schneider (usf.edu)

Description

Children’s literature is written for children and youth, but the analysis of children’s literature requires careful attention to text as well insightful interpretation of the ways in which authors and illustrators present the human condition, the physical world, imaginative experiences, and global forces. Children's literature is also a $4-billion-a-year industry that impacts social practices, politics, financial markets, schools, literacy rates, history, and art. Whatever the reason for your interest, children’s literature is a big deal.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.