Looking for MOU examples for Practicum Course

Ms Kim

Feb 1, 2024, 3:26:02 PMFeb 1
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Hi All,
I am looking for examples of MOUs that your college has with sites where students are doing practicum hours. We currently do not use them and I have no idea how to get started making one. Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Kim

Roberson, Carrie

Feb 2, 2024, 8:44:16 AMFeb 2
to Ms Kim, Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Hello- Title 5 has explicit requirements around line of sight and supervised field experience for the permit is where we want to assure quality in the student experience to our industry partners/ empyers when students leave our program. Butte College does not have MOU's but are permitted to place students at an approved CA Early Childhood Mentor Program site which is coordinated by a faculty member. We also have a required Mentor Seminar course for Mwntors outside of our on campus lab site.

I hope that makes sense, but there may be too much detail to explain in an early AM email!
~Carrie

Carrie Roberson

Butte College

Feb 2, 2024, 9:50:22 AMFeb 2
to Ms Kim, Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
We only have MOUs with the two public school systems. We do not have any MOUs with private child care centers or Head Start, which is where the majority of our students complete their

I don’t have a role in the creation of MOUs. They are written by the school system’s attorneys and reviewed and signed by the president of our college.

Tamara Reynolds

Chair, Education Department

Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
828-398-7372

Office: AHWD 513

tamarae...@abtech.edu

Ms Kim

Feb 2, 2024, 12:02:10 PMFeb 2
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Hi Tamara,
Thank you! Would you happen to have a copy to share?
Thanks,
Kim

Ms Kim

Feb 2, 2024, 12:08:57 PMFeb 2
to Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
Hi Carrie,
Yes, it makes sense. Our college doesn't have a lab school so we use local Head Start schools in our community. But, a student who lives an hour away in a different county enrolled., we've never had this happen as our students are local. I contacted the Head Start in her county (there's also a college in her county with a practicum program but she won't tell me why she's not doing it there). The Head Start in her county only does MOUs and they need to get Board approval...a long process. I'm trying to help the student but it may just be easier for her to enroll at the college nearest to her.
But it'd be great to get MOUs in case we may need/want them in the future.
Whew, that was a lot! Hope it makes sense.
Kim

Tamara Reynolds

Feb 2, 2024, 12:14:31 PMFeb 2
to Ms Kim, Early Childhood Education OER/ZTC Collaboration
I've attached one here, Kim. I believe this is a draft version, as there was significant back-and-forth regarding the background check requirements.

Our college cannot require background checks for participation in our program, and the college cannot have access to the results of any background checks. The background check has to be required by the school/organization, and we have to offer students an alternative placement option if for some reason they don't pass the background check. It's a little ridiculous because everyone has to pass a background check to work in licensed child care. But, technically, since we are open enrollment, we'd have to permit a student to complete the degree even if they have no chance of being hired.

Hope this helps!
Tamara

Asheville City A-B Tech MOU Education Department.docx