Solihull levels

Zoe Welsh

Jul 7, 2024, 1:54:18 PM (9 days ago) Jul 7
to eal-bi...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Has anyone used the Solihull EAL levels?

We have a new interim Head who wants to change from Bell to these.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Zoë

Ellis, Louise

Jul 8, 2024, 2:31:59 AM (8 days ago) Jul 8
to Zoe Welsh, eal-bi...@googlegroups.com
Good morning,

I haven't used the Solihull, but I used Bell and Nassea. I prefer Nassea, as I like the descriptors and the fact they are split into different key stages. I also like that there are more steps in each code so you can see progression within the steps - which is a confidence boost for everyone!

We made 'online' versions of Nassea on Excel so we can have online copies which makes it easier to record.

I think Solihull is similar to Nassea, but perhaps even more dated! I also think to use whatever you are comfortable with. And make sure you are using assessment on a formative way to plan targets etc.

Kind regards,

Louise

Sent from Outlook for iOS

Jul 8, 2024, 4:02:30 AM (8 days ago) Jul 8
to Zoe Welsh, EAL-Bilingual
I often show Solihull to schools as the stages are clear and the strategies are laid out alongside the relevant levels making it simple and quick to navigate for class teachers.

It is then up to the schools if they continue to use Solihull or go to the Bell's online version which is extremely thorough but much more complicated to navigate for schools entering the world of EAL assessment.

Lisa Reynolds

Katy

Jul 8, 2024, 9:41:29 AM (8 days ago) Jul 8
to Lisa Reynolds, EAL-Bilingual, Zoe Welsh
Hi Zoe!
I used Solihull assessment before the Bell Foundation assessment was published. I agree it is simple, and perhaps simpler to use. I moved to the Bell assessment for its rigour and I find it easier to track progress with the 10 descriptors per band. I can’t check right now, but from memory the Solihull descriptors didn’t all lend themselves so readily to targets, sometimes phrased negatively (Can’t yet… etc). I’ve since worked with schools using both successfully.
Katy