A Lowe

Jun 17, 2024, 4:05:12 AMJun 17
to eal-bi...@googlegroups.com

Good morning everyone,

We currently have a student in year 8 who has travelled a lot and seems to have interrupted education apart from 5 years in Greece. He speaks Albanian and some Greek but cannot read or write in any language. He has been with us for several months and our team have been trying to teach him English but we’ve noticed he seems to forget everything almost immediately. He uses Google Translate but needs to listen to it which disturbs lessons. I feel there is definitely a SEN there but I’m unsure as to how he can be supported or how we can help him access the curriculum. He is currently withdrawn from as many lessons as possible and staff do a lot of 1-1 work with him but he is not making progress. We have an Albanian speaking student teacher in school at the minute so I was going to ask her to help with an assessment of his abilities but any advice would be much appreciated on how he can be supported going forward. Thanks so much.

Angela

EAL Co-ordinator

Parrs Wood High School (a member of the Greater Manchester Education Trust)

The information in this e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it was addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by using the reply facility in your e-mail software, and then delete it from your system. Parrs Wood High School may monitor the content of the e-mails sent and received via its network for the purposes of ensuring compliance with the law and with its policies. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The Academy accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Any views or opinions presented are only those of the author and not those of the Academy. Greater Manchester Education Trust. Registered address: Whalley Range 11-18 High School, Wilbraham Road, Whalley Range, Manchester, M16 8GW. A charitable company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (company number: 08913502).

Visit our Website

PWHS_Logo     Trust_Logo    CE_Logo

Scanned by Clearswift SECURE Email Gateway

Stuart Scott

Jun 19, 2024, 10:12:25 AM (14 days ago) Jun 19
to A Lowe, eal-bi...@googlegroups.com
I find it difficult/impossible to provide advice since I don't know the child and accurate assessment is the key here. Nobody else has responded to your posting and this may be the reason. You are fortunate in having an Albanian speaker available. However, I am not clear from your post that the school/leadership has begun to address the issue of EAL provision in general and you have been singled out to deal with the issue on your own.
Stuart
Collaborative Learning Project. A teacher network sharing talk for learning resources.
17 Barford Street, London N1 0QB 44 207 226 8885

--
This group is managed by NALDIC, the UK's EAL Professional Association. Please visit our website for further information: www.naldic.org.uk. Twitter: @EAL_naldic. NALDIC's Privacy Policy | https://naldic.org.uk/privacy-policy

National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum
A Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales. Charity No 1110570. Company No 05159760
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EAL-Bilingual" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eal-bilingual/VI1PR10MB806388A6B33B3E90F94F0C4E81CD2%40VI1PR10MB8063.EURPRD10.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.