Re: [EAL-Bilingual;9332] Digest for eal-bilingual@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

Frank.Monaghan

Sep 2, 2022, 3:22:36 PM9/2/22
to eal-bi...@googlegroups.com

You’ll be creating a fantastic and useful digital resource, Stuart! Good luck with the scanning and I look forward to hearing more from the memory machine! Ah County Hall and the ILEA – another age…

All the best,

Frank

From: eal-bi...@googlegroups.com <eal-bi...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Friday, 2 September 2022 at 15:53
To: Digest recipients <eal-bi...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [EAL-Bilingual;9332] Digest for eal-bi...@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

CAUTION: This mail comes from outside the University. Please consider this before opening attachments, clicking links, or acting on the content.

·        Forty years of Collaborative Learning - 4 Updates

Stuart Scott <stuart...@collaborativelearning.org>: Sep 02 09:55AM +0100

We are moving the office, only a few feet, but this has meant sorting
through all the paper activities and resources we hold. So we decided to
digitise our paper records and throw out the filing cabinets folders etc.
We have a photocopier up to the task but it may take till the end of
October to complete the work.
I thought many of you might be interested in some of the papers etc that we
hold so here is a copy of Issues in Race and Education from 1983 - the year
ILEA granted funding and their Multiethnic /EAL inspectorate officially
launched the project at County Hall (now an aquarium).
When things turn up which might interest you I'll put them on EAL Bilingual
I also will be giving away loads of books and I will post a list when I
make a list. This might interest folk doing doctorates on the history of
EAL/Bilingual education in the UK. Questions they might be asking: have
classrooms become more or less EAL friendly? Has there been any radical
change in EAL? pedagogy?
Are we the only EAL project remaining that has not been monetised?
Best wishes,
Stuart
PS Does anyone need or know a use for box files and lever arch folders? We
have rather a lot to dispose of. Free to anyone who can collect them
Collaborative Learning Project. A teacher network sharing talk for learning
resources.
www.collaborativelearning.org
17 Barford Street, London N1 0QB 44 207 226 8885

"Griffin, Melanie" <M.Gr...@bury.gov.uk>: Sep 02 09:15AM

Good luck with the move, Stuart! It sounds like a huge task with all those paper materials.
The old stuff sounds interesting. There are always comparisons to be made to evaluate how far things have moved forwards (or backwards) in different areas of policy and practice.

Sadly, these days almost everyone is forced into a commercial situation. Great that Collaborative Learning is still going strong despite changes all around. Still relevant, practical and useful.

Best wishes,

Melanie

Melanie Griffin BA (Hons), PGCE, PgDip, M.Ed., FCCT
Director, NASSEA

[nassea_logoOUT_cmyk]

[...]
www.collaborativelearning.org<http://www.collaborativelearning.org>
17 Barford Street, London N1 0QB 44 207 226 8885
--
This group is managed by NALDIC, the UK's EAL Professional Association. Please visit our website for further information: www.naldic.org.uk<http://www.naldic.org.uk>. Twitter: @EAL_naldic. NALDIC's Privacy Policy | https://naldic.org.uk/privacy-policy

National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum
A Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales. Charity No 1110570. Company No 05159760
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EAL-Bilingual" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eal-bilingual/CAEp7rS%3Dwm1ug6faV_x9MfG94Jhfo-6kFAZUC50SrOLcX4bKaFA%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eal-bilingual/CAEp7rS%3Dwm1ug6faV_x9MfG94Jhfo-6kFAZUC50SrOLcX4bKaFA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Graham Smith <graham...@theealacademy.co.uk>: Sep 02 10:42AM +0100

I am sure you have lots of fascinating documents, but when are you writing the history of the project?

Best wishes,

Graham

Graham Smith

Director

The EAL Academy

E: graham...@theealacademy.co.uk

W: www.theealacademy.co.uk

T: 020 3488 2700

M:07800503648

@EALACADEMY

This group is managed by NALDIC, the UK's EAL Professional Association. Please visit our website for further information: www.naldic.org.uk. Twitter: @EAL_naldic. NALDIC's Privacy Policy | https://naldic.org.uk/privacy-policy

National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum

A Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales. Charity No 1110570. Company No 05159760

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EAL-Bilingual" group.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eal-bilingual/CAEp7rS%3Dwm1ug6faV_x9MfG94Jhfo-6kFAZUC50SrOLcX4bKaFA%40mail.gmail.com.

Stuart Scott <stuart...@collaborativelearning.org>: Sep 02 01:27PM +0100

Thanks for the good wishes. It turns out to be, when approached gently, a
very pleasurable activity. I'm currently scanning home economics (which was
transmogrified into D and T as Food Technology and developed at Islington
Green and North Westminster schools. One of the activities: Are you a
Stinker? online at http://www.collaborativelearning.org/areyouastinker.pdf
may become even more popular than it already is when hot water soon becomes
a precious commodity

I have always believed that teachers working together on resource
development are more creative than those working on their own. Sadly
pressures on teachers have made this a rarity and pupil talk is still also
neglected. I was fortunate enough to work in university (including
teacher training! in the UK and abroad, before I decided to work in school.
Consequently, I was confident about what needed to happen in classrooms and
prepared to fight for it with research to back it up. The current model of
teacher training does not prepare teachers for engagement with their
'superiors'. Unfortunately not everything that counts can be counted and
vice versa; talk is a slippery customer and beancounters don't like
slippery, so I am not optimistic that schools will become more EAL friendly.
I plan to keep the website going until I no longer can which means someone
else will be writing the history. I am extremely grateful to those
colleagues (all named online) who are still contributing inspiring
activities.
Interestingly, we now get almost as many downloads from the US as the UK
and quite a few from Oz
Stuart.
Collaborative Learning Project. A teacher network sharing talk for learning
resources.
www.collaborativelearning.org
17 Barford Street, London N1 0QB 44 207 226 8885

On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 10:42 AM Graham Smith <

You have received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.

Stuart Scott

Sep 3, 2022, 1:56:09 AM9/3/22
to Frank.Monaghan, eal-bi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Frank. This is a good time to mention, given your involvement, that most of the ILEA SMILE (if you don't know these acronyms please ask) activities are available on the STEM website. There is a link on our links page.
I am also grateful to the Open University for letting me teach their language development course for the Reading Diploma and their Race and Diversity course for many years. I met many fantastic students who subsequently contributed to the project especially Susan Hart and Jane Bunting. You can tell us whether the OU teaching materials have been digitised. I think I still have them on my shelves but not for long!
Stuart