Chinese speakers in Warrington

Graham Smith

Aug 19, 2022, 7:39:58 AM8/19/22
to eal-bi...@googlegroups.com
This week I have been analysing what the school census tells us about the languages spoken by pupils in each LA. The strangest thing I have come across so far is that  between 2021 and 2022 the number of Chinese speaking pupils in Warrington has increased by 400%- from 143 to 714. It could just be a data input or processing error in either the LA or the DfE. It might also be true (lots of Hong Kong Chinese settling there?). Does anyone know Warrington schools well enough to explain what might have happened?

Best wishes,

Graham

E: graham...@theealacademy.co.uk

W: www.theealacademy.co.uk
T: 020 3488 2700
M:07800503648

Twitter: @EALACADEMY

I have b

Frank Monaghan (NALDIC)

Aug 21, 2022, 12:18:05 PM8/21/22
to Graham Smith, eal-bi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graham,

This article might hold the answer:

Liverpool is home to the longest established Chinese community in the UK and, of course, to the greatest football team, so it’s not hard to understand why it’s such  a draw!

Cheers,

Frank

On 19 Aug 2022, at 12:39, Graham Smith <graham...@theealacademy.co.uk> wrote:

--
This group is managed by NALDIC, the UK's EAL Professional Association. Please visit our website for further information: www.naldic.org.uk. Twitter: @EAL_naldic. NALDIC's Privacy Policy | https://naldic.org.uk/privacy-policy

National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum
A Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales. Charity No 1110570. Company No 05159760
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EAL-Bilingual" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eal-bilingual/325510606.1811605.1660909192264%40mailbusiness.ionos.co.uk.

N A L D I C the national subject association for EAL

NALDIC, Charteris Land 3.08, Moray House School of Education and Sport, University of Edinburgh, Holyrood Rd, Edinburgh, EH8 8AQ

National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum
A Registered Charity in England and Wales and a Company limited by guarantee. Charity No: 1110570  |  Company No: 05159760.
Registered address: c/o Prof Victoria Murphy, Department Of Education University Of Oxford, 15 Norham Gardens, Oxford, England, OX2 6PY

www.naldic.org.uk

lois burgess

Aug 31, 2022, 7:49:48 AM8/31/22
to Frank Monaghan (NALDIC), Graham Smith, eal-bi...@googlegroups.com
That is soo interesting.  Thank you for sharing.
Best wishes
Lois

Aug 31, 2022, 2:12:27 PM8/31/22
to lois burgess, Frank Monaghan (NALDIC), Graham Smith, eal-bi...@googlegroups.com
I remember that in the 1980/90s the Chinese community in Liverpool (as in London Soho) was very supportive of new arrivals and had a variety of agencies to help their children which the local authorities also funded and supported. I imagine many families are deciding to leave Hong Kong so they will be travelling to places where they they know support exists. Even more so in these times where LA support is thin on the ground.
Stuart

Collaborative Learning Project. A teacher network sharing talk for learning resources.
17 Barford Street, London N1 0QB 44 207 226 8885