Exam access arrangements for UASCs

in...@bell-foundation.org.uk

Jan 11, 2022, 3:57:28 AM1/11/22
to EAL-Bilingual

Dear EAL Bilingual members,

Thank you to Tanya Ingram, who shared a post on here in November regarding a school’s success with an appeal for UASCs (or separated children which is the preferred terminology).

Following this post we raised this issue with the relevant policymakers, in order to improve access arrangements for UASCs.

In order to take this further we are seeking evidence on school experiences colleagues may have of supporting unaccompanied asylum-seeking children (UASCs) through GCSEs.  In particular, we are looking for experiences regarding UASCs who arrived within three years of their GCSEs and were placed with an English-speaking family. We would like to know:

a)    Whether your school chose to appeal in order to get 10% additional time with a bilingual dictionary?

b)    The reasons why the school did or did not choose to appeal in order to get 10% additional time with a bilingual dictionary.

c)    What was your experience of appealing if you did?

If you, or any schools you are in touch with have experience supporting UASCs through GCSEs please do contact us via rachel...@bell-foundation.org.uk. We would need any responses by February 5 to be included in the review.

Many thanks,

Rachel

Rachel Scott

EAL Programme Officer