Day of Welcome for refugees and asylum seekers - Friday 16th June - Events and Resources

Tanya Ingram

May 10, 2023, 5:54:51 AM5/10/23
to norfolk-ea...@norfolkadvisory.com, norfolk-schools-o...@norfolkadvisory.com, eal-bi...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone

Please do join over 100 Norfolk schools and many schools nationally in this fantastic event.

Register for more info. and a pack of resources

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

We are writing with news of an exciting project for all schools and educational settings in the run-up to Refugee Week.

A Day of Welcome is a day of solidarity and learning in schools that aims to build a culture of welcome and understanding for refugees and asylum seekers, and to support Refugee Week. We provide more than 50 free resources and activities for KS1-KS4 that make it easy for schools and families to participate in school, and at home.

This year, the Day of Welcome will take place on Friday 16 June 2023. But schools can register here and use our resources at any point in the year.

LIVE EVENTS:

  • Live Webcasts for KS2: When Stars are Scattered, The Waiting Place & Edmund De Waal

We’ve worked with VNET, Young Norfolk Arts Festival & English PEN to offer three fully-funded, live events. We will be exploring two brilliant books, When Stars are Scattered and The Waiting Place, and will also be interviewing renowned artist and author Edmund De Waal. These sessions are aimed at Key Stage 2 pupils and are a perfect way to participate in A Day of Welcome and get involved with Refugee Week. You can register here by clicking on the links here:

The Waiting Place

When Stars are Scattered

Edmund de Waal: Identity, Home, Belonging

· Refugee Education: Free Teacher CPD with International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The IRC will be providing a free, live webinar that aims to support schools and educators to develop inclusive and nurturing learning spaces where refugee and asylum-seeking students can thrive. Sign up here

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS:

  • (KS2+) Explore the issue of temporary hotel accommodation with your pupils.
  • (KS1) Watch and discuss the Aardman Animation short film ‘Home’.
  • (ALL) Refugee Education resources which share best practices, signpost support and provide you with key contextual information to better support refugee pupils.
  • (ALL) Guidance and support to run an effective fundraiser for a local organisation that supports refugees and/or Schools of Sanctuary.
  • (ALL) Two resources developed in collaboration with the Association of Jewish Refugees that explore the UK Holocaust Map

Please check out our Teacher's Guide (attached) for the complete Day of Welcome 2023 Offer.

Last year, over 200,000 pupils took part in A Day of Welcome. We hope you will join us for 2023. Together, we can make a significant difference in building a more inclusive and supportive community for all.

Very best wishes

Jeannette Baxter and Jake Rose-Brown, Co-Founders of A Day of Welcome

Jeannett...@aru.ac.uk

in...@norfolksos.co.uk

Sara Trewhitt, Director of Operations (Pronouns: she/her)

Schools & FE Colleges of Sanctuary Lead

sara.t...@uk.cityofsanctuary.org

Please note that I work part-time, and I’m sending this email now because it suits how I balance my working hours. I don’t expect that you will read, respond to, or action this email outside your working hours.

Mobile: +44(0)7855874390

To unsubscribe from the SCHOOLSOFSANCTUARY list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=SCHOOLSOFSANCTUARY&A=1

--

To see our email disclaimer click here http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/emaildisclaimer