Fwd: "That won't work in my subject!"

Diane Leedham

Jan 9, 2022, 5:42:53 AM1/9/22
to EAL Bilingual
Good morning everyone

I am forwarding an email (below) from an education network ‘We Are Beta’ because it offers an opportunity to share EAL practice/pedagogy. You need to scroll down to the second item.

It’s my hunch that there may not be as much intersection between networks as would be desirable so you may not have seen it already.
Though I would love to be wrong.

I hope some of you may wish to get in involved anyway.

Best wishes

Di Leedham

Begin forwarded message:

From: Niall Alcock <ni...@weareinbeta.com>
Date: 9 January 2022 at 10:09:42 GMT
To: Diane <dale...@gmail.com>
Subject: "That won't work in my subject!"

 Plus: effective EAL practice; Netflix's culture in schools?

Hi Diane,

This week we hit a milestone we had hoped we’d hit before Christmas. Alas, it wasn’t be. Thank you for helping us reach 13,000+ members to kick off the new year with a bang. 🎉

Whether you started back last week or work begins tomorrow, remember…

…the We Are In Beta team are here to help you find what you need - great example below. All you have to do is ask us a question.

We - schools - Are In Beta - always learning.

This week:

🎥 "That won't work in my subject!" Things you need to know about managing subjects you don't teach.

💭 Schools with high mobility, particularly with EAL students, that are successful in terms of curriculum.

🎧 Blind recruitment.

🎥 "That won't work in my subject!" Things you need to know about managing subjects you don't teach.

When developing curriculum it can be easy to assume other subjects are just like yours. But they aren’t. The ways they’re planned, communicated, delivered and assessed are different.

With that comes a risk senior leaders and faculty leaders, who lead a number of subjects, will ask subject leaders to do things that, at best, aren't helpful, and at worst, are damaging.

Join us to learn how subjects behave differently across the school, or within your faculty, and what you can do about it.

(Or use this session to help you explain to your line manager how their initiatives could be improved to meet the needs of your subject.)

📅 Tues 11th Jan.

🕕 6pm.

Save your spot

💭 Interested in schools with high mobility, particularly with EAL students, that are successful in terms of curriculum?

We're helping Vice Principal, Ruthie Jacobs, find successful EAL curriculum practice from schools with high mobility.

We're also looking at running an online event to share it.

  1. Do you want to be invited?
  2. Are you interested in presenting your EAL curriculum work?
  3. Do you want to access resources afterwards?
  4. What specifically do you want to hear from other EAL practitioners?

Let us know below 👇

Yes please! EAL is my thing.

How did this come about?

Ruthie Jacobs posted this question inside the community:

Hi All! I was wondering whether there are any schools in the We Are In Beta community with a very high level of mobility, particularly with EAL students, that are really successful in terms of curriculum?

We are in the top 1% of schools for mobility in the country, we get 15 or so new arrivals every week with limited English and many with little previous formal schooling.

Really interested in seeing a comparable school that has successfully inducted and managed a broad and balanced curriculum for these students while teaching them English.

Happy to share our approach so far too.

We’ve had lots of interest already.

So, whether you want to join us in front of, or behind, the (web) camera, we’d love to see you there.

Want to find out how other schools do what you’re working on?

If you want us to help you find specific practice from across the community, click here to post a question and we’ll see what we can do.

🎧 Blind recruitment.

This week - Episode 7 of our republishing of Series 2 from 2019.

Learn how her own experience of sexism influenced how Claire Cuthbert (CEO, Evolve Trust) recruits teachers. And how she gives her team the time and space to look beyond their MAT, and even beyond education to Netflix, to design processes to help them get the people and culture right.

Listen now

Thanks for reading.

@Niall Alcock and the We Are In Beta team

📱Get 13,027 school leaders and teachers in your pocket.
Get the We Are In Beta app

Update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list -Sent via We Are In Beta
We Are In Beta
40 Davisville Road
London, London W12 9SJ
United Kingdom

Add us to your address book
 Copyright © 2022. All rights reserved.

Stuart Scott

Jan 9, 2022, 7:03:14 AM1/9/22
to Diane Leedham, EAL Bilingual
I think you are right Diane! Academisation and corporate competition has led to many schools staying within their own networks. We are grateful to folk like you who put a lot of energy into sharing between networks.
Best wishes,
Stuart
Collaborative Learning Project. A teacher network sharing talk for learning resources.
17 Barford Street, London N1 0QB 44 207 226 8885

--
This group is managed by NALDIC, the UK's EAL Professional Association. Please visit our website for further information: www.naldic.org.uk. Twitter: @EAL_naldic. NALDIC's Privacy Policy | https://naldic.org.uk/privacy-policy

National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum
A Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales. Charity No 1110570. Company No 05159760
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EAL-Bilingual" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eal-bilingual/EAB12843-F44A-4D57-A0FD-B028810D4950%40gmail.com.

Catharine

Jan 11, 2022, 3:38:51 AM1/11/22
to EAL-Bilingual
I tried to engage with this group before Christmas and got a terse reply, removing me from their list , saying they only wanted to hear from people who were school leaders!
I hope some of you have better luck.
Catharine

Diane Leedham

Jan 11, 2022, 4:19:19 AM1/11/22
to Catharine, EAL-Bilingual
Hi Catharine

How frustrating.

We are in beta have put the same question out on Twitter and Niall was delighted that I had shared it with this network.

 I’ll message him to ask but in the meantime, please don’t anybody be put off.

If you contact them and get a rebuff please let me know.

Networks like this need your expertise (and EAL expertise often isn’t situated in school leaders for a variety of structural reasons)  - even if they may need educating into realising it!

Di