Ukrainian application to sixth form

Anna Turnbull

Jun 6, 2022, 9:05:30 AM6/6/22
to EAL-Bilingual
See query below for a Wirral school:

Hi Anna

I have just been approached with a question about Ukrainian students wishing to join the Sixth Form.   Two current Year 12 age students came to our reception today and asked about coming to the school.  They are staying with one of our Year 7s whose family is hosting them.

We have a number of questions.  These students would not be able to join Year 13 in September as they have missed a whole year of the courses and do not speak English.  There is normally also a criteria of GCSEs they need to have to take certain subjects.  If they join Year 12 in September rather than Year 13 they would then become over school age for Year 13.  Not understanding English would obviously also be a huge barrier to them accessing the A Level curriculum.

Is there any guidance or information about this? Have Ukrainian students been joining other Sixth Forms on Wirral?  What are they studying?

Dominic Brassington

Jun 6, 2022, 10:11:13 AM6/6/22
to Anna Turnbull, EAL-Bilingual
Post-16 students have three years of free education, at that age with zero or low levels of English they would be best going to college and doing ESOL with the aim of progressing onto an English medium course. At the moment it sounds like they would not be able to access any other courses.

If they speak Russian then a GCSE and an A Level in Russian is also an option, but there is content in English, more so at GCSE level.

--
This group is managed by NALDIC, the UK's EAL Professional Association. Please visit our website for further information: www.naldic.org.uk. Twitter: @EAL_naldic. NALDIC's Privacy Policy | https://naldic.org.uk/privacy-policy

National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum
A Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales. Charity No 1110570. Company No 05159760
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EAL-Bilingual" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eal-bilingual/1dcf1840-b225-497d-bedb-e26a2e87356en%40googlegroups.com.